Froghopper?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Aynia

Froghopper?

Post by Aynia »

I think this is a frog hopper but don't know for sure.

On lavander with available light.

tpe

Post by tpe »

Available light is the way to go, very nice indeed, it kind of looks like it needs to rotate 90 degrees though?

tim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Tim wrote:
it kind of looks like it needs to rotate 90 degrees though?
Could be I suppose, a verticle would look nice but then again too, if there were a bit more space at the top, bringing the hopper a slight bit lower, this would look fine as well. Still not a bad shot. :D It is a hopper but I have never read of one being referred to as a "froghopper." :-k

tpe

Post by tpe »

It was the angle of the stalk that made me thing perhaps a rotate, or that it was still the way it came out of the camera, you know most stems grow upwards, didnt detract from the picture though. Have you ever tried flipping a picture from left to righ? It is still the same picture but somehow seems different, a friend of mine said it was a good way of telling if there were errors in for example proportions when painting a portrait. I guess in photography there is little chance of getting the proportions wrong but we (most westerners) generally read a picture from left to right, I wonder if there is a similar effect from top to bottom. Anyway, sorry Aynia, i am rambling, it is ken's fault honest ;) Very nice picture indeed whichever way round you look at it :). And Ken they were known as all sorts of things when I was young, froghopper, spittle bug, leaf hopper, cookoo spit I think. It is the larvae of theese things that sit in the bubbles of liquid on grass isnt it?

tim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Tim wrote:
It is the larvae of these things that sit in the bubbles of liquid on grass isnt it?
I am not sure? :-k Spittle Bugs are usually the culprit of those things, though leaf hoppers I know little of or about. :D

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

The "Froghopper" name is a British thing I think. Yes the nymphs of these beasties are inside what we call "cuckoo spit" - I presume its named for the cuckoo as it appears at a similar time...

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

I'm guilty.!! I did rotate the pic - it was a normal stalk of lavander which hasn't been battered by wind and rain.

It's funny what people like or don't like.

I prefer it this way, but would like the froghopper lower and a little bit away from the petals and facing the other way. :roll:

I sometimes rotate all 360 deg to see how something looks and I'm also guilty of flipping things sometimes - though generally when I flip them I think they look funny.

So in other parts of the world are these guys just called hoppers?

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I think they call them leafhoppers in the US... (I'm sure Ken or someone will correct me if I'm wrong here!)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I learned them as "leafhoppers" if they were sleek, and "froghoppers" if they were short, squat, and maybe a bit lumpy.

This one looks like a froghopper to me!

--Rik

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Anynia:

Don't hesitate to rotate a photo any time. It's a common practice during peer reviews at camera clubs to have someone say "Flip the slide for me and let's see what it looks like."

Of course if there is lettering in the scene--not likely in our pursuit--then it won't work.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic