Indian Pipes fungi

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jbailey

Indian Pipes fungi

Post by Jbailey »

I was pleasantly suprised to find these beauties while stalking fungi in general. Since then, I have found a second batch closer to home.

Jim

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

What a delicate plant that is!

Your topic title is a bit misleading, though, because I was expecting to see some mushroom :)

Cheers
Harry

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

There's a good article on these things at http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/oct2002.html .

The Indian Pipes are actually not fungi themselves, but rather are non-photosynthetic plants -- in the blueberry family! -- that make their livings as parasites on fungi.

So, while there may be no fungi actually visible in this photo, it seems there most certainly are quite a few behind the scenes, not far below the surface.

It's an interesting system. :D

--Rik

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Lovely photo of these plants.

I remember a year or two ago, I made the same mistake as you, when photographing a red plant in California, and posting it here, I thought was a fungi too.

Erland

Jbailey

OOps!!

Post by Jbailey »

Thanks for the classification correction. (Wow! Dig my horrible alliteration with rhyming to boot.)

You folks on this site are a goldmine of information. I hope I can be of comparable assistance, too.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic