Ambush bug

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Ambush bug

Post by rjlittlefield »

This little fellow was just finishing up some small meal when I started shooting.

The eating was done by the time I moved in for a closer view.

You can see the empty husk of the victim underneath the bug in the second image.

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D, Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 macro. Natural light, shaded with occasional direct backlight. Image #1, ISO 100, f/2.8 at 1/100 sec. Image #2, ISO 400, f/5.6 at 1/50 sec. Shot in a garden at White Bear Lake, Minnesota.

Edit: fix image URL's.
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That rostrum does a really good job and it is amazing that you can see the prey, in that the Ambush bug is quite small as it is. Only once have I seen one that was of any good size, maybe about 10mm and even then it was only by chance that I spotted it, they blend in so well to their surroundings. Quite a nice set of shots here Rik :D , those powerful forearms are really eye catchers when it comes to these bugs, insects or whatever one may call them. :lol:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks for the comments, Ken.

This critter is right at 7 mm head to tail (obtained by measuring in the second raw image and knowing I had the lens set just shy of 1:1).

The subject is still a nymph, but judging from the size of the wingpads, it must be getting close to adult. I've seen some flashy black and yellow jobs around here a bit later in the summer. They are surprisingly hard to see, even considering that they like to hang out on yellow flowers. But I don't know whether this is the same kind.

--Rik

salden

Post by salden »

Excellent images Rik. The little guy's expression reminds me of a kid who was caught in the act :lol:
Sue Alden

tpe

Post by tpe »

I dont know what it si, they are both very well composed lit and focus etc, but I really like these images very much, with the close up it might just be that you can see the mantid like arms and the bug its self looks so baby ish. They really do mesmorise.

tim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic