Pine Ridge area, Nebraska USA

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Pine Ridge area, Nebraska USA

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is the Pine Ridge area in northwestern Nebraska, around the towns of Crawford and Chadron. It's a distinctly rural place -- nice scenery, friendly people! :D

These sandstone bluffs are just inside Fort Robinson State Park at Crawford.

Here's the view from on top of those sandstone bluffs. It's about an hour's hike to get up here. Not heavily traveled, but well worth the view. (This is a stitched panorama, 118 degrees side to side. See here and here for larger files with more detail.)

From the backside of the same bluffs, overlooking Crawford.

From Squaw Creek Road, southeast of Crawford.

I hope the color on these comes out OK -- preparing photos on a laptop is always a bit dicey. Enjoy! :D

--Rik

Technical: Canon A710, PTGui.

Edit: correct spelling
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Nicely done, Rik, and I'm glad you're getting a chance to rejuvenate your photo genes by doing some photography in a different sort of place than you usually do!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thanks, Mike!

Yes, it is a bit of a change from my usual position, hunched over a screw table or silhouetted in the glare of a computer monitor. 8)

(Well, I guess the computer monitor is still here, but you get the idea... :lol: )

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Ah, life in the heartland of rural America, does it get any better? :D Those bluffs are impressive and look to be extremely dangerous if one is not careful along the edge of them. Great group of images Rik. Scenes like these seem to refresh the eyes and clear the mind somewhat. Thanks :D

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Yes, I always do enjoy travelling the States with the American uncles! :D :wink: :wink:

Great, beautiful and vast country you live in, so many interesting places to visit! Looks like you are gathering quite some miles. Not at all just "fly over country" as some people call it there in the hinterland, if one knows what to look for! I would love to probe that pine forest for insects!

Thanks for sharing it with us, Rik.

Take care!
--Betty

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Hi Rik,
Welcome to the Great State of Nebraska. You've found some of our wonderful scenery and certainly done it justice with your photos. If you make it to the east coast (along the Missouri) stop in for a visit.
Gary
A pixel is worth a thousand words but it takes a thousand words to explain a pixel.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Gary W Brown wrote:If you make it to the east coast (along the Missouri) stop in for a visit.
Gary, thanks for the offer, but I'm headed north next. Another time, perhaps. :D

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic