Thallose Liverwort-Archegonial Receptacle Growth

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Thallose Liverwort-Archegonial Receptacle Growth

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Image 1 – Complete subject- as of yet unidentified thallose liverwort.

Image 2 – Detail of inverted receptacle showing 3 complete and one deformed spore capsule.

Image 3 – Receptacle and host liverwort plant below.

Image 1
50mm Fujinon enlarger lens, reversed, alone at f/5.6.
Image stack, 72 images at .010 inch moves.

Image 2 & 3
50mm Fujinon enlarger lens, reversed alone at f/8.
Image stack, #2) 14 images at .020 inch moves.
Image stack, #3) 64 images at .020 inch moves.

These stacked images were some of my first, taken in the field on an overcast day, using my new field macro-stage. The liverwort in image 1 has just produced its receptacle. It is the green ball like object on the liverwort.

Images 2 and 3 are actually the same image with the first one leaving out the base images to retain the shape of the receptacle and spore capsules. Image 3 is the rest of the plant in detail but lacks the depth needed to show the separation between the receptacle and the plant. This is a more mature receptacle not far from spore release.

For more details of this subject please see other postings on both the technical and microscope galleries.

Walt

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Walt -- it's great to see you back posting again, and such lovely and fascinating stuff! :D I've been through your images in all three forums tonight, and I'm sure I'll be back to them when I have some more time.

"...new field macro-stage..." ? Did I overlook the technique posting about that setup, or is that still in prep? 8)

--Rik

ETA: I just took a closer look at images #2 and #3 above. Did you notice that some areas that are sharp in #2 change to "stacking mush" in #3? Which software was this done with?

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Hi Rik, glad you appreciate the images. It has been quite a project. Yes there is mush, Combine ZM is the culprite. You haven't missed anything regarding my exposure to the world of my new macro stages. Some day soon I hope. I have more images to post first.
Walt

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Walt, there's a new version of CZ available. It's now named CombineZP. The "P" stands for "pyramid", which is a newly re-discovered algorithm that turns out to work well for stacking. See http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/combinez/message/734 and search the photomacrography.net forum for more info. In early testing, I've had good results with CZP where other methods give mush. It's still an early version, crashes occasionally, and so on, but still I'd recommend to give it a try.

--Rik

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

The first full version of Combine ZP is now available for download at Alan Hadleys' site. I just started playing with it today.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic