Red Aphids

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Red Aphids

Post by Ken Ramos »

Aphids seem not to have been in the forums lately, so I thought I would throw a handful in. :twisted:

At least I think they are aphids, they're missing the little tail pipes they are!
EOS 20D
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 430EX Speedlite ETTL @ -1/3
WB - 5500K
PP: Photo Impact 6 :D

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Ken, these aren't Aphids but juvenile bugs. Anyway, their red color is a nice contrast on the green leaves.

Cheers
Harry

salden

Post by salden »

They look like Aphids to me, at least that is what I have been calling them :shock: . In any case, great images Ken. You captured some nice detail.
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I was not sure as to what else to call them. :-k They looked like aphids but they did not have the tail pipes usually associated with them. I thought maybe red butt assassins but no, I could not find any matching images and there are no wing pads. To search bugguide would take an entire day almost to find anything, so I just called them aphids because that is what they looked liked. Dunno? :roll:

I myself was amazed that I had captured so much detail Sue. Normally when I try this hand held, I get fuzzy little bugs, whether they have fuzz or not. :lol:

Thanks Sue, rovebeetle :D

salden

Post by salden »

My first thought was assasin bug baby, but they did not resemble the little redbutts that I find in my yard, but they are close.

I will go back in my files and look at the wee ones that I photographed as they were growing up and eating all my other insects.
Sue Alden

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Glad you made the identification error Ken. It won't be me next, thanks to you. Nice shots
Walt

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

nice shots Ken,, I've heard these called redbutts before too,, hmm,, kinda look like baby asassins too,,
Jim

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Walt and you're welcome, anytime :lol: Thanks also Jim :D I sort of thought also that they may be red but assassins but there are no wing cases present or wing pads. I searched around and looked up Red Assassins but even they at there smallest have wing cases. So I am still not sure. I am most positive that they are somewhere on BugGuide but I am not going to riffle through all that mess to find them. Someone needs to straighten that thing up and get rid of all but the most helpful images of each species, most images are repeats of others.

Thanks again guys! :D

salden

Post by salden »

Maybe we could start our own bugguide. We have better images :lol:
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sue replied:
Maybe we could start our own bugguide. We have better images :lol:
Indeed we do, fantastic images, outstanding photography, with much greater detail and sometimes better information than BugGuide. Though we do need an expert team of entomologists to correctly ID the darn things. :lol: :D

salden

Post by salden »

Maybe we could have "Guess what this bug is?" instead...
Sue Alden

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Found'em, I think. Coreids or so they say. Started following links from BugGuide which led me to this: Helmented Squash Bug Nymphs Though the abdomens look a bit broader than mine. Might be a "squash bug" if you step on one. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic