www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - diatom cork screw
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
diatom cork screw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: diatom cork screw Reply with quote

This monday I went to belgium and when I drove back I took the opportunity to go past the Zeeland Deltaworks http://www.deltawerken.com/Deltaworks/23.html to catch some plankton from the sea. It was stormy weather and raining hard. I was completely wet but I caught some nice diatoms. I had only 1 day to photograph them because my camera had to go to the repairs as soon as possible.

This is a Guinardia species. They are diatoms that form helical colonies. It is a stack becaue they are big and deep. Microscopic subjects appear quite flat when stacked so I made the more distant parts a bit darker.

Wim

Gyrosigma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Microscopic subjects appear quite flat when stacked so I made the more distant parts a bit darker.

Fantastic idea !!! I never think to that, but of course you are right, it gives realy deep impress

welldone Wim

best regards

Dominique
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I always regard photography as 'painting with light' so why not paint a little darkness as well! Smile

Wim
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I hate to be a skeptic but that sure looks like a lit flashlight bulb to me. Never seen one of these before, that I can think of. Interesting specimen Wim. Very Happy
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand, Ken! I also wondered how this diatom appeared in the image while I hade no sample under the microscope. I should have adjusted the illumination a bit better.

However, isn't this the perfect Kohler illumination with the filament projected in the image? Oh no, that was critical (Nelson) illumination.

I am confused! Idea

Wim
beetleman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Creature Wim...wonderful shapes in nature
Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing, i was thinking it looked like that too.
but you can tell it apart cause it looks cut into cells, very interesting shape it has

Wim van Egmond wrote:
Now I understand, Ken! I also wondered how this diatom appeared in the image while I hade no sample under the microscope. I should have adjusted the illumination a bit better.

However, isn't this the perfect Kohler illumination with the filament projected in the image? Oh no, that was critical (Nelson) illumination.

I am confused! Idea

Wim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: