A ladybird

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Aynia

A ladybird

Post by Aynia »

I've been waiting for ladybirds for a good few weeks and they haven't arrived in any great numbers (only 2 seven spots, and about four 22 spots), so here is an old one of mine.

And I used autofocus... :D Wouldn't have got the shot otherwise. :wink:

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have never been fortunate enough to capture one like this. :? Lucky you and a really nice shot! :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Great shot Aynia. Not the best of designs are ladybirds for flight. I am sure those wing cases must act like air brakes in flight and need more muscle power to overcome their drag. Or do they fold down again after the wings are out?

DaveW

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Dave, I think the wing cases stay up. When they are flying at eyelevel they go so quick it's hard to tell. This one flew past me and crashed into the house and then landed on the grass. I think a lot of beetles fly the same way. I've seen a few click beetles flying lately.

Perhaps the entomologists could tell us!

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I think ladybirds and in fact beetles in general keep the front wing cases open when flying - it's why most beetles are pretty rubbish at it!!

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

:smt044 a real action shot. I try to get shots like this also but have not captured anything half as good.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Excellent shot, Aynia! Very dynamic moment.
lauriek wrote:I think ladybirds and in fact beetles in general keep the front wing cases open when flying - it's why most beetles are pretty rubbish at it!!
Not all. The Fruit Chafers (Scarabaeidae-Cetoniinae) keep their elytra closed when flying. Ergo: they are extremely good flyers.

Cheers
Harry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic