diatom cork screw

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

diatom cork screw

Post by Wim van Egmond »

This monday I went to belgium and when I drove back I took the opportunity to go past the Zeeland Deltaworks http://www.deltawerken.com/Deltaworks/23.html to catch some plankton from the sea. It was stormy weather and raining hard. I was completely wet but I caught some nice diatoms. I had only 1 day to photograph them because my camera had to go to the repairs as soon as possible.

This is a Guinardia species. They are diatoms that form helical colonies. It is a stack becaue they are big and deep. Microscopic subjects appear quite flat when stacked so I made the more distant parts a bit darker.

Wim

Gyrosigma

Post by Gyrosigma »

Microscopic subjects appear quite flat when stacked so I made the more distant parts a bit darker.
Fantastic idea !!! I never think to that, but of course you are right, it gives realy deep impress

welldone Wim

best regards

Dominique

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

:) I always regard photography as 'painting with light' so why not paint a little darkness as well! :)

Wim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know I hate to be a skeptic but that sure looks like a lit flashlight bulb to me. :smt017 Never seen one of these before, that I can think of. Interesting specimen Wim. :D

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Now I understand, Ken! I also wondered how this diatom appeared in the image while I hade no sample under the microscope. I should have adjusted the illumination a bit better.

However, isn't this the perfect Kohler illumination with the filament projected in the image? Oh no, that was critical (Nelson) illumination.

I am confused! :idea:

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful Creature Wim...wonderful shapes in nature
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

:lol:, i was thinking it looked like that too.
but you can tell it apart cause it looks cut into cells, very interesting shape it has
Wim van Egmond wrote:Now I understand, Ken! I also wondered how this diatom appeared in the image while I hade no sample under the microscope. I should have adjusted the illumination a bit better.

However, isn't this the perfect Kohler illumination with the filament projected in the image? Oh no, that was critical (Nelson) illumination.

I am confused! :idea:

Wim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic