A short walk near my house

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

A short walk near my house

Post by gpmatthews »

Today, my daughter, Janejira, and I went for a collecting trip to a watercourse known locally as The Red River. It is very shallow with a stony bed. In fact it is an artificial watercourse, I believe constructed around the time of WW I and it takes the outflow from Warnham Millpond through to the River Arun here in Horsham. Part of it adjoins a golf course, but much of the adjoining land is a semi-wild strip between the river and houses with many different trees and shrubs, mostly native. It is a popular area for a stroll and for exercising dogs.

Freshwater wildlife collected today included fish - Bullheads (Cottus gobio a bottom dweller that shelters under stones), mayfly larvae, dytiscid water beetles, water scorpions, a selection of snails and who knows what microscopical creatures, as I have yet to examine the samples under the microscope.

Red River

Janejira collecting specimens

Guelder Rose - yes it really is this vivid
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Wonderful photographs Graham, you should show us more of Horsham. I have visited your website a few times just to look around at the photographs you had posted there. By the way, a very lovely young lady that you have accompanying you there. :D

Kite

Post by Kite »

Lovely location, what tempratures does the water get to in your area at this time of year?

I have never seen such a brightly coloured guelder rose, nice shots.
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Danny

Post by Danny »

Janejira
Very unusual name, I like it. These are the best times of all and make it all worth while Graham. That is one striking colour. Very nicely done sir :D

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

doktorstamp

Warnham Nature Reserve Views

Post by doktorstamp »

A slightly overcast day, and my first attempt at uploading pics here.

The Mill was constructed pre 1900, one of my great-grandfathers and my paternal grandfather worked there, the latter as a mill boy, before being joining the army to fight in WWI. The Mill ceased to operate in 1929 and the building was derelict until some 15years ago.

The Red River was excavated to take the increased overflow from the pond, adjacent and parallel runs a second `river´, more a wide ditch with slow moving water. Both are tributaries of the Arun. Both have different ecospheres despite being between 100 to 300 yards apart, until they meet some 1½ miles south of the Mill Pond.

I grew up in this area and know it well, living less than ½ a mile from the pond. In my childhood we would fish in the Red River, my father, as a boy swam in the river, not advisable during my childhood with the increased use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides, swimming we did not do.

I haven´t done much with my digital camera up to now. Found out they call the type I have a `bridge´camera. DLSR like in shape and function, but with a fixed zoom lens (28mm-300mm) equivalent.

regards

Nigel

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nigel, if I have read correctly, these pictures do a nice job of complementing Graham's shots from earlier today. It looks like you're coming to terms with that new camera. :wink:

However, your post here appears to violate the forum guidelines, which specify "Do not post an image of your own in someone else's topic."

I know that you and Graham are friends, so I'm presuming that you two have coordinated this offline.

But I did want to make the guidelines clear, to avoid possible confusion and a misleading precedent. If you do want to split the posts into two topics, please let us know and one of us admins can do that for you.

Best regards,
--Rik

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Rik, I think these are quite OK and do indeed compliment my original posts... albeit quite a time later!

Good to see Nigel posting - how about some of those orchids we were dicussing the other night? Also, maybe I can assist with some photomicrographs of stamp papers as a joint project sometime?
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic