Identity please?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Identity please?

Post by DaveW »

Not the best of shots, but hopefully Erland can identify it for me? It was not around my pond but hawking for insects around my yellow privet hedge! I do wish insects would be more considerate and pick a more neutral background because I hate pictures with the glaring yellow privet leaves in them since they do not look natural.

It was also a smaller species than the previous damselflies I have seen.

It eventually found what seemed to be a little green spider for lunch.

Or were there two of them as the second ones rear end has some tiny bumps on it?

DaveW

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

It's a female from the Coenagrion genus. Surely those females are the hardest to ID of all European odonates.

But your pictures clearly show the rear edge of the pronotum, the plate at the top of the prothorax (body segment behind the head, which the front legs are attached to).

That's why I can see it's a Coenagrion puella, Azure bluet. To me it could surely be the same female in both pictures.

Great to see you got very good focus in the two pictures, and good background too.

Erland

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the identification Erland but it's a horrible background to me, all that bilious yellow privet. So many of the insects will make for it though.

They were both hand held using my 70-180 Micro Nikkor with available light.

DaveW

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

I do agree that the yellow leaf is really bright, but you really did a great job with focus and composition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic