Inside a dandelion

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Inside a dandelion

Post by Charles Krebs »

Should have done some weeding in the yard today, but instead of pulling them I poked a lens around inside the dandelions. Focusing at large aperture through the outer "parachutes" attached to each seed results in a very soft view of the center of the seed head. In this one I found that a small spider had set up shop. Took a horizontal and then a slightly tighter vertical.

Nikon D200. Wollensak Oscillo-Raptar 75/1.9 lens on extension tubes.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Charlie,
Shooting through the 'parachutes' provides a sense of atmospheric mystery to the whole scene. The composition and lines within are mesmerising. The spider looks like it's performing some sort of martial-arts posture.

What else did you 'poke' with the Raptar?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Very dreamlike! Lovely.!

acerola

Post by acerola »

A very original idea. And a beautiful picture.
Péter

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

If it were not so hot and methane laden, life on Venus might appear as such, with large dandelions and equally as large spiders crawling about them. :shock: Would it not be cool if a space probe landed on some distant planet and sent back a macro like this. That would give the boys and girls at NASA something to think about and waste our money on. :lol: Very ethreal images there Charlie, great! :D

Gary W Brown

Post by Gary W Brown »

Very nice Charles. Here's what the dandelions in my yard look like.
Sony a100 using the elbow-tummy-elbow tripod
Tamron 90mm macro
accidental enhancement (brightened the dandelion) with iPhoto
Gary
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... lion_1.jpg

Admin edit: changed inline [img] to a [url]. --Rik

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Ohhh, is this a danelion thread?? I got a pic a couple of years ago, which I call my fairies...!! Shall I dig it out?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

No, it's not a dandelion thread.

Actually we have a forum policy against posting inline images in other people's threads without prior invitation or permission. Sometimes that policy gets overlooked by new members. No big deal, I just now tweaked Gary's posting to conform. :)

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Probably to the annoyance of my neighbors across the street (I never use anything to kill the weeds in my grass), there's no lack of dandelion subject matter by my house! :wink: ... and yes... they look just like Gary's Nebraska version.

By far, my favorite subject of this type will show up later in the year. These are the huge seed heads on Western Salsify: Tragopogon dubius (sometimes commonly called "Goat's-beard"). These are great fun to photograph in this sort of abstract/close-up manner. An introduced species, but if you ever find one that has a full seed head be sure to get your camera and play around with it.

Craig... Antonio's beautiful yellow rose post inspired me to dig out this old lens, and I literally had to dust it off! I picked it up very cheaply years ago when I dabbled in this type of shot quite a bit. This is the first time I've used it on a digital camera, so it's been a long time since it's taken a picture. Designed for a .9X magnification, and with a 75mm focal length and a max aperture of f1.9, it makes some interesting images. It's somewhat "soft and dreamy" wide open (which can be used to advantage at times).

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Took me back to the 70's and the music of the Moody Blues :)

Nice job.

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

A commonmly photographed subject but I don't recall similar shots. Excellent!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic