www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - When it takes a mile to move an "Inch"
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
When it takes a mile to move an "Inch"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: When it takes a mile to move an "Inch" Reply with quote

I watched this little ant moving its provision for quite sometime, to long almost, as my knees began to give out from being down on the ground so long nosing around like some hound sniffing out game. But, it seems my efforts payed off. No telling how the green mass ended up erupting from the inchworm but it seemed the ant stopped to sample it as it continued in its work. Very Happy
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great (if unappetizing!) behavioral series, Ken. Good job!

I can just hear the ant singing to herself "Great green gobs of greasy, grimey gopher guts!"

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
augusthouse

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series of shots Ken.

It looks like the ant's intent was to get at the green stuff. You can see how he has positioned the prey whilst still maintaining a foot-hold on the leaf. That's a strong ant!

Makes you wonder what was responsible for the fatal blow to the cat.?? Whatever it was, it was recent. I suspect a bird, somewhere in the trees above you.

Craig
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Quote:
I can just hear the ant singing to herself "Great green gobs of greasy, grimey gopher guts!"

"...mutilated monkey meat, little dirty birdy feet." Laughing I thought I was the only one who remembered that song. Rolling Eyes

No telling how long or far the ant had been dragging that worm but the ant was intent on getting it to where ever it wanted it to be, with a quick snack along the way. Very Happy

Thanks Craig, thanks MikeB Very Happy
jmlphoto

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great in action shot. i always see ants carrying big bites of food they find that one sure looks determined.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jordan. Very Happy You definitely have to give them an "E" for effort. Though I did not get a photo and tried desperately to do so, I spied an ant that had captured a small winged insect by one of its hind legs and no matter how hard the winged insect tried to escape, it could not get airborne. Never seen that before. Think I attempted a photograph of the scene but the action was too intense. Whether the ant succeeded in subduing its prey I do not know. Rolling Eyes
salden

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent image Ken and what a catch. Not what I would want to see on my dinner plate, but I am not an ant.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue wrote:
Quote:
Not what I would want to see on my dinner plate, but I am not an ant

Nor would I on mine either. Laughing

Thanks Sue Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: