www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Bee fly
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bee fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Bee fly Reply with quote

I have always wanted to get a good shot of one of these things, a Bee Fly that is and it was right at dusk and the Spring Peepers (Pseudacris crucifer) were singing in the twilight of a warm, spring afternoon. Somewhere deep in the woods, along the rolling landscape of the foothills region here in Rutherford County, a loon could be heard calling in the distance and with the last vestiges of sunlight clinging to the horizon, it was nice to be out of doors, taking in the sounds of the coming of night and getting some, well unintentional, photos of insects coming to rest. Such is the case with this Bee Fly. Very Happy

All Images
Canon EOS 20D
Manual mode, hand held
1/125 sec. @ f/14 ISO 100
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 430EX Speedlite ETTL @ -1/3, off camera w/Novoflex bracket
PP: Photo Impact 6 Very Happy

I found this quite by accident, I was not intentionally looking for insects at the time but more enjoying just a late afternoons walk when the twig of a pine tree presented itself against the late afternoon sky and lo...in the fading light, the silhouette of the Bee Fly. Very Happy
acerola

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the beeflies. Nice captures. I like the first one because the nice background. But it might be a little lighter. If you get bored with the black background on the flash lighted pictures. You can modify the time in manual mode until it will show -2 or -3 EV underexposure. If you use this you might still get a handholdable time but a lighter background. You can go under the time a little you thought is appropriate because a slight motion blur is not so visible, as the flash will rule the subject. You can get the backgrounds like the first one. Maybe even one stop lighter background.
Or you can stick with this time and raise the iso to 200. It will also lighten your background with one stop. 20D is producing great pictures until iso 400.
Or you can lighten the background with just putting an object not too far from the subject for the flash.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Péter, it was pretty late in the afternoon when I shot these and maybe had I opened the aparature up a bit more the backgrounds would have been much lighter. Very Happy
jaharris1001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are really different Ken,, I dont think Ive ever seen on here in Florida,, I saw someone else had one posted today,, this is the first Ive seen of these

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be down you way there Jim. I don't see them too often around here, just every once in a while. Thanks Jim Very Happy
beetleman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have caught him getting ready to settle down for the night.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleman wrote:
You must have caught him getting ready to settle down for the night.

Hhmm, and sometimes when these things settle down for the night, they really settle down for the night!

I am reminded of my experience last year:
Quote:
The fly in pic #1 had actually shut down for the day -- it was so cooperative for such a long time that finally I poked it with a finger to see if it was really alive! It was, and in response to my poking, it merely shifted position.
Very Happy
--Rik
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they do settle down. This one was still there for a couple of hours the next day, finally by afternoon, either it went for or became lunch. Laughing Thanks guys! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: