Johnny-Jump-Up, next generation coming up...

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Johnny-Jump-Up, next generation coming up...

Post by rjlittlefield »

It must be Spring -- Rik is ripping the flowers apart again! :lol:

These are the reproductive parts of Johnny-Jump-Up, Viola tricolor. You can see the whole flower here. The image shown above is with the bottom petal removed, looking up into what would normally be the back bottom side of the flower.

From a technical standpoint, the most interesting thing about this image is that it has had no manual retouching whatsoever. Note the absence of halo against the dark background and where there is strong overlap of foreground/background structures. All the tools necessary to do this are now available off the shelf, though at this moment controlling them is far from easy. With a bit of luck, all that will soon change. In the meantime, I bid you adieu 'cuz it's my bedtime now. :D

--Rik

Technical: Canon 300D with Olympus 38mm bellows lens on 97 mm extension, marked f/4, 28 frames at 0.005" focus step.
Aligned with PTGui, stacked with TuFuse -p 1 --wMode 1 --wExposure 0 --wContrast 1 --wSaturation 0 -e 10

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey, it looks absolutely great! :D
Nice piece of software too. Thanks for the link. :smt023
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Rik wrote:
It must be Spring -- Rik is ripping the flowers apart again!
Good Mornin' you odd gardener! :lol: :wink:

Yeah, this looks excellent. Did you report on the software earlier and I happened to miss it?

Thanks for the eye candy on this Saturday morning.
--Betty :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

It does look very good!

...comparison stack...comparison stack...comparison stack... :wink: :wink:

acerola

Post by acerola »

I tried the software also. It's good. There is no halo and no exposure differences. There is a little problem with overlapped things, as with all the others.
Péter

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Planapo wrote:Did you report on the software earlier and I happened to miss it?
Nope, this was the first image that I've posted.
Charles Krebs wrote:...comparison stack...comparison stack...comparison stack... :wink: :wink:
But of course! These things just take time...

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=4721 . :wink:

Péter, the treatment of overlap is often improved if your images are well registered before running them through TuFuse. In some cases, this can be easily done with the align_image_stack tool distributed with hugin. It just depends on whether the tool can find proper control points.

--Rik

acerola

Post by acerola »

Is it aligning the frames also? I tested Tufuse with the aligned frames from CombinezM. Can it be better than CombinezM?
I think overlap is and will be a problem because in the same place there is high contrast pixels from two plane.
Péter

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

acerola wrote:Is it aligning the frames also? I tested Tufuse with the aligned frames from CombinezM.
Perhaps I've overlooked a capability. How does one tell CombineZM to export aligned frames? When I export after aligning, what comes out looks like the un-aligned version.
Can it be better than CombinezM? I think overlap is and will be a problem because in the same place there is high contrast pixels from two plane.
All of the current tools allow background detail to "show through" foreground structure, if the background detail is equal or higher contrast than the foreground. That problem is still on the to-be-solved list.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Oh, I see now.

Export after alignment does seem to export the aligned versions, but the alignment function itself was broken in the February 3 version of CombineZM (and for some months before that). It would shift, but not scale.

That problem is repaired in the April 1 version. If you have an older version, I suggest to get the new one and repeat your tests.

One caveat: in the April 1 version, Do Stack has difficulties with some stacks. Large fuzzy areas appear in places that used to be handled OK. This seems to have appeared at the same time as Do Soft Stack and the three-argument form of the Find Detail command.

--Rik

acerola

Post by acerola »

Thanks Rik, there was no scale in the alignment. I was suprised. I will try with the newer version too.
Péter

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Lots of really great detail in the picture Rik. You can look at it for a long time and still see things you missed the time before.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A very nice image there Rik. :D I can't say as I have ever seen any around here but there probably are. :-k Seems that when I looked them up, I found them to go by a number of other names, mostly associated with violets, of which I have a front lawn full, well at least until I mow the lawn. :twisted: :lol:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Doug, that's the beauty of biological subjects -- no matter how deep you go, there's always more interesting detail to see.

Ken, if you had one of these, I guarantee that after a short while you'd have a zillion of them. They spread prolifically by seed, and they're self-pollinating so one plant is all it takes, not even any bugs. As for the names, well, there's apparently N+1 for any N. I just learned another one a couple of minutes ago when I happened to Google on viola tricolor pollination and turned up the Wikipedia article that starts out
Heartsease (Viola tricolor) is a common European wild flower
"Heartsease", eh? Never heard that one before!

Thanks for the comments, guys. :D

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic