Big Black Carpenter Ant

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

acerola

Big Black Carpenter Ant

Post by acerola »

I posted earlier another picture from this ant. The color is different here (mainly post processing difference). So is the lens. I managed to change the canon 100mm macro + 55mm reversed lens gear to the reversed kit lens (Canon 18-55mm). I makes a totally different picture.

Péter

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I like this! :D The ant really looks aggressive and you have some great color and details in there too. :D

Michigan Michael

Post by Michigan Michael »

Beautiful capture and what a great pose!

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

excellent photograph, perfect lighting, the lichen in the forground really adds to the photograph.

i really like this, thanks for sharing.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Very nice, Péter! The orange and grey of the lichen and the dark Camponotus look great together.
It always amazes me what you can achieve with the kit lens reversed. I think I have to get me such a reverse adapter.

Ken wrote:
The ant really looks aggressive
Hmm, to me she looks more like she is self-grooming and cleaning her antenna by pulling it through the gap between tibia/tarsus and pectinate spur. One can see the spur very well on the (animal´s) right foreleg. She might have the mandibles open because usually during such a behaviour sequence the legs will often also be cleaned by pulling them through the mandibles thereby "brushing/licking" them with the maxillae/labium.

Remember Rik´s remarkable documentary work on the comb-bearing spurs.

(How does one format this that the "Remember ..." is high-lighted blue and becomes the link to click upon, but the URL itself is hidden?

--Betty

edit: Done! Thanks, Péter.
Last edited by Planapo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

acerola

Post by acerola »

Thanks.
Betty: You can use the url tag (url= http://www.photomacrography.net...)short text(/url)
In this case you can click the "short text". Just use different brackets than in this example [] instead of ().

The kit lens gives a different perspective. And its quality is worths its price, but I will try another lens to increase sharpness.
Péter

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Splendid pic on all povs as mentioned by previous ppl - pose, (complementary) colours, composition etc. ... nice job :)

pp

(thx for brkt weight info elsewhere, btw)
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

acerola

Post by acerola »

PP: the macro bracket is not working right now. It is too bright.I have to make a diffuser. I had to improvise so I put the flash back to the body and put a large diffuser on it. Fortunately it produced a very even light.
Péter

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Being on dial-up, this image suddenly popped into view, maximising the impact. I agree with all that has been said.

If I could pick on one tiny detail: the one small improvement I can think of would be if you had an identical shot in which the middle, left leg is not partly bent backwards but is fully visible.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

An incredible photo :smt023 . The kit lens seems to give you a better DOF. I love the colors :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Betty wrote:
Hmm, to me she looks more like she is self-grooming and cleaning her antenna by pulling it through the gap between tibia/tarsus and pectinate spur. One can see the spur very well on the (animal´s) right foreleg. She might have the mandibles open because usually during such a behaviour sequence the legs will often also be cleaned by pulling them through the mandibles thereby "brushing/licking" them with the maxillae/labium.
Makes one appreciate wash cloths...doesn't it. :-k

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic