Even in beauty, there also lies tradgedy

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Even in beauty, there also lies tradgedy

Post by Ken Ramos »

Canon EOS 20D
Manual mode, hand held
1/125 sec. @ f/14 ISO 100
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 220EX Speedlite (full) w/diffuser, off camera w/Novoflex bracket

(Image data same as above but at f/10)

I was hoping to refrain from a large amount of insect images this year but at present, I suppose one takes what one can get. :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Good find, Ken! The color is lovely, even if the scene is a bit grisly!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Really wasn't expecting to come across this but then again insects are starting to become a bit more numerous as the temperatures warm. Thanks Mike. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Ah you interrupted the spiders meal ;)
New av Ken,a ladybird?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

nto

Post by nto »

Ken, your yellow and dark backdrop always beautiful.
Antonio

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Antonio replied:
Ken, your yellow and dark backdrop always beautiful.
Thank you Antonio, the resulting dark background came from stopping down the lens, I think, in hoping to improve the depth of field, the flash was at full. :D

Cyclopes replied:
New av Ken,a ladybird?
Yes Larry :lol: , the Lady Bug looks a lot better than my mug. Thanks :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Have you seen a ladybird's face up close ? ;)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

jaharris1001

Re: Even in beauty, there also lies tradgedy

Post by jaharris1001 »

Ken Ramos wrote:[img]I was hoping to refrain from a large amount of insect images this year but at present, I suppose one takes what one can get. :D
way to go Ken,, there IS life in them hills !!! :lol: and whats up with this quote ??? refrain from insect shots ?????? what ????? :?: :wink: explain ? very nice shots by the way,, love the lighting and color !!
Jim

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well Jim I was hoping to give the insects a rest this year unless I just so happened across something unusual, what that could be would be anyones guess I suppose but I would like to broaden my horizons a bit if I could. :-k This spider, fly scenario I just happened upon, sort of reminds me of "sucking crawdad heads" down in Louisiana. =P~

Thanks Jim :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Ken Ramos wrote:reminds me of "sucking crawdad heads" down in Louisiana
err,what on Earth is a crawdad?:-S

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Ah ieeee, Larry! You never suck a crawdad before? Down in Louisiana, cawdads, crawfish, crayfish, mudd puppies, what ever you wish to call them, are a real treat. Sort of like a fresh water lobster but they are for the most part small in size. I like the tails in a gumbo or on a bed of spicey rice with tobasco, they are even great on the grill. Some folks down that way boil them up, much the same way as crabs, or steam them and then eat the tails and suck the innards out of the heads, leaving nothing but crawdad hulls in their wake. Really good they are and with a nice ice cold beer to wash them down with...well you just can't beat 'em! :wink:

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

ehh,, ya,,, I like the tails,, but can do without sucking the guts out of the heads :shock: :smt087
Jim

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Ken,

I like the colors and composition of this one as well as the drama of nature with the battle between the fly and spider.

I vote for you to keep taking pictures of insects as well as flowers. our images are inspiration for me to get out and do the same.

Roy

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Roy, I appreciate the "kudo's" :D Insects are kind of hard to pass up because of them being so colorful and sometimes dramatic and I will more than likely continue in shooting them but I feel there is much more out there to be explored. Everytime I come home from a days outing, I am always asking myself, "what did I miss?" :-k

Jim, as for sucking the innards out of crawdad heads, I think I agree with you, the tails are much more tastier. The heads are kind of strong IMO. :-& :lol:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Ken Ramos wrote:Ah ieeee, Larry! You never suck a crawdad before? Down in Louisiana, cawdads, crawfish, crayfish, mudd puppies, what ever you wish to call them, are a real treat. Sort of like a fresh water lobster but they are for the most part small in size. I like the tails in a gumbo or on a bed of spicey rice with tobasco, they are even great on the grill. Some folks down that way boil them up, much the same way as crabs, or steam them and then eat the tails and suck the innards out of the heads, leaving nothing but crawdad hulls in their wake. Really good they are and with a nice ice cold beer to wash them down with...well you just can't beat 'em! :wink:

Ah i used to have a couple of pet crayfish when I was a kid. They got frozen by mistake!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic