Some winter springtails

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Some winter springtails

Post by LordV »

These little bugs get more numerous in the cooler (or perhaps wetter) Winter months here. All taken at 5.1 with an MP-E 65- single shots
First two shots small white springtails- longest about 0.7mm.
Last shot springtail about 1.1mm body length.
Brian V.

Click on Pics for larger size

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Very good captures, I've read about these often, but never seen them myself! Good job.

They remind me a lot of termites.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I really like the first one. There is a lot of cute little Characters in it. They sorta look like bunnies :wink: I have seen masses of these on spring snow a couple of times. It was like "Black Snow"
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am finding many of these on the fall leaf packs in slow flowing mountain streams right now and some even skittering around on the surface tension. Some really neat shots here Brian. :D

LordV

Post by LordV »

Thanks for the comments everyone :)
Think springtails are thought to be the most numerous bugs in the world, they also outjump fleas in power weight terms.

Beetleman - think those are called snow fleas - apparently graze on algae growing in the snow. Seem to remember some people were investigating what they use for antifreeze :)

Ken- yes they often walk about on water.
Brian V.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

good captures, ive seen millions of these little guys, i just need a mpe to get them lol. i like the last one never seen any looking like that one.

best place to find these is in wet places with decaying organic matter, (under wet leaves, under mulches, rotting wood has them sometimes) find there food source and youll find springtails.
Jordan L. photo southern california.

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Wonderful series Brian. It's always a treat to see your work.

Irwin

Harold Gough

Springtails

Post by Harold Gough »

The top two images are Entomobryomorphs (first segment of the thorax neck-like) of the family Isotomidae. I can't identify the genus but they seem not to be Folsomia, the "usual suspect" because not all three of the terminal abdominal segments are fused.

The other image is of Poduromorphs of either the family Hypogastruride or Neanuride (separated on the internal structure of their mothpart).

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Yay springtails(Collembolids) are cool little bugs,see them in our garden under bricks etc,and one night I found one of the larger black ones. Too dark to get a photo tho.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic