Wasp sting, Olympus 20/3.5 bellows lens

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

waltknapp

Post by waltknapp »

lauriek wrote:Walt with your experience with all of these similar macro lenses, are there any particularly stellar performers to keep an eye out for?
It really depends on what you are photographing. As has been noted each of these lenses has a fairly limited range of magnification for which it's designed. So it does not hurt to have several. Any of the ones I have are good within their design range.

I also used the older tessars, the B&L Micro Tessars and the Zeiss designs, but mostly with 4x5 sheet film. Kind of hard to extend that experience to modern setups.
I figured the RMS adapter it came with would enable me to easily test out a bunch of cheapo microscope objectives as well so I'll be trawling ebay for the next few months (Ha, not that I ever seem to stop trawling ebay for something!!!)
There is a Canon 20mm on ebay right now. Always something going on there. The ultimate place for rare stuff.

I've not really found microscope objectives to be all that good except when used with the proper lighting system on a microscope. But I suppose that might change with stacking. As has been noted, they have awfully narrow DOF.

I'm just setting up to get into stacking, got a mount made and software ready. I'm setting up for working in the field as I'm often a very long way from home base.

If you want to have some fun with these lenses, set them up with a good ringflash and go out shooting handheld. Here's a shot from ten years ago, shot with the Minolta RD175, Canon 35mm, 1200 ringflash and handheld. The young tick was running flat out across a piece of cardboard:

Walt

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

There is some softness there but its a fabulous image none the less!
Nice one!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

waltknapp

Post by waltknapp »

Cyclops wrote:There is some softness there but its a fabulous image none the less!
Nice one!
The Minolta RD175 is a 1.1MP 3CCD digital. Some softness was the name of the game back then.

Walt

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Wow 1.1 MP! You did well with that!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Rik wrote:
I take advantage of this effect as part of my cleaning process. Put on a bellows and macro lens, extend fully, stop down as far as it will go, point the camera at a room light, and voila, a nice sharp contact print of any dust that happens to be on the sensor, with absolutely no image detail to confuse it with.
Oh why did you have to tell me that Rik (though I'm glad you did :) )

Looks like I'm off to get some Eclipse2 Sensor Swabs, some Dust-Aid and a SensorKlear Lens Pen. I have a Giottos Rocket Blower.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic