Daffodil stacks

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Daffodil stacks

Post by lauriek »

I thought I'd try something different to the bugs under my stacking rig;

Shot into daffodil 'trumpet', bellows set to minimum extension, with reversed 50mm lens:
Stack of 10 images, deliberately out of focus edges.

Zoom to maximum extension...
stack of 11 images.

No-resize Crop of the previous image..

Both shot with my usual setup; E-330, OM Bellows, OM50/1.8 reversed, twinflash. Shot at f5.6

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW, excellent photos laurieK. I love the second one. very sharp and crisp and lots of details to look at.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yes, excellent -- sharp, pretty, and interesting -- great fun! :D

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks guys!

Quick addendum, I realised after posting that although this flower is something most people would call a Daffodil, it's actually a Narcissus...

I guess that bit in the middle is the stamen, is that correct? (Been a while since I was taught flower anatomy at school!)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Wow super shots! Must try this. And you're right,it is a Narcissus. If the corolla,that is the trumpet,is longer than the outer petals its a Daffodil
If not its another kind of Narcissus or Pseudonarcissus.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:I guess that bit in the middle is the stamen, is that correct? (Been a while since I was taught flower anatomy at school!)
Learning is easier & more fun now -- just Google "flower anatomy" and look at the pictures! 8) :D

What you've imaged is actually the "stigma". It's the receptive female part where the pollen lands, a portion of the "pistil". "Stamen" is the male part that produces the pollen. See for example here. I believe the stamens in your flower are the six lighter blobs OOF in the background of your first image.

--Rik

Cyclops

Re: Daffodil stacks

Post by Cyclops »

lauriek wrote:
No-resize Crop of the previous image..

Both shot with my usual setup; E-330, OM Bellows, OM50/1.8 reversed, twinflash. Shot at f5.6
Cool images, just a little soft. Do you sharpen your images at all? This image might be improved with some sharpening and level adjustment. Let me know if you'd like to see what I mean.

Admin edit: to comply with reposting rules.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Danny

Post by Danny »

Aww that second shot is beautiful !!!. look how that stands out and excellent stacking showing great DOF. Very nicely done.

All the best and that second shot is brilliant.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic