www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - web page button?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
web page button?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: web page button? Reply with quote

I dont know what theyre called but well, you know the little icon you get for each webpage when its in your favourites, well this site doesnt have one, just the generic blue e thing.

Well, I had a play with those 2 colons[::] and made one for it!
What do you think?

salden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are called favorcons....
Danny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favicon's are quite neat and yep, I like them. Simple to put in and they look smart. I've used them on a few sites and another forum. Problem and theres always one huh. Some browsers see them and use them and save the site with the favicon, some don't. The next problem is one we might not be able to cure. Favicon's have to go into the root directory of the site/forum. Now thats fine as long as thats all that is in that root directory. Where this forum is, its actually shared with other sites that you don't even know is there, on purpose.

So all of them are a sub domain and any favicon used in the root directory will show and save for all sites that share that root. That can't happen Wink

I'll take a look today and see if a favicon can be used outside of the root directory and only in the forum directory, but I doubt it. Worth a look though, I do like them.

All the best Very Happy

Danny.
Cyclops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm for some strange reason the little blue favocon isn't showing anymore-where's it gone?
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favicons are notoriously unreliable. Some browsers display 'em everywhere, some only in the list of "favorites" or "bookmarks", and some not at all. The copy of IE6 that I'm using to type this posting doesn't display a single favicon for any site, and I don't have the foggiest idea why. It looks like you're using IE7, and I gather favicons are not too reliable there either. Confused

Generating a favicon for photomacrography.net has been on the to-do list for some time now, but it keeps getting pushed down by higher priority stuff like rehosting and keeping the spammers at bay.

I was intrigued, though, by your comment about "::" in the title bar. Other phpBB forums have "::" in their titles too, but they have something reasonable before it. So why didn't ours? The answer is simple -- it turns out that this forum had been running since the beginning of time with no "Site name" stored in the database. Just a cosmetic glitch.

Anyway, I've since updated that to be "www.photomacrography.net" to correspond with all our other literature.

So now you'll notice "www.photomacrography.net" in the title of every forum page. You'll also see it appearing inside every page, at the place where (for example) it now says "www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends". And finally you'll see it in taskbar and tab titles. Maybe this will eliminate a bit of confusion if you're one of those folks, like me, who tends to have half a zillion browser windows and/or tabs open. Or maybe it'll make things worse by adding pointless clutter -- always hard to tell until you actually try it. Let me know which way it goes, if it makes any difference at all. Smile

--Rik
Cyclops

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i also see it in emails from this site too,that wasn't there before(normally just the link to the posting but now also the homepage link. Good job!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: