What's going on in this photo?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dbur

What's going on in this photo?

Post by dbur »

This is a not too great Android cell phone photo taken with the default photo app. Can anyone explain to me why the foreground is sharp, and the background is sharp, but the mid ground is blurry?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

That looks for all the world like a 2-image focus stack.

A side effect of HDR, perhaps?

I am curious, exactly what name and version number is your "default photo app"?

--Rik

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Did you use "portrait mode"? Seems like the phone identified the middle grassy green subject as probably a human or subject of interest and proceeded to do its fakery but ended up goofing itself.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

And what cell phone? Some Huawei cell phones (including mine) have two slightly offset cameras which combine their information into a single picture.

dbur

Post by dbur »

Phone is Moto G7. Android 9. Photo app is the default app that comes with Android.

HDR is set to on, but it seems it would be a foul for HDR to be messing with the focus even it is taking multiple exposures.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dbur wrote:HDR is set to on, but it seems it would be a foul for HDR to be messing with the focus even it is taking multiple exposures.
I agree, not the way to bet. More of a throw-it-out-there-to-prompt-discussion idea.

What about Macro_Cosmos' question about portrait mode, or I suppose more generally any options for image filtering?

By the way, is your camera set to record raw or just JPEG? If you have raw, does it show the same pattern?

--Rik

dbur

Post by dbur »

I supposedly can do raw with the Lightroom mobile app. When I tried to use it it wanted me to log in to adobe first but there was no service where I was at. So I did not get a raw image, but I tried.

Photo was taken in landscape mode so I don't know what effect portrait mode could have, or are you thinking some AI find the face kind of Portrait mode? I don't think I have that.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dbur wrote:or are you thinking some AI find the face kind of Portrait mode?
Yes, like that. Something that identifies an area of interest and blurs stuff around it.

Apparently your camera app is much different from mine, because mine is happy to shoot raw whenever I go into Pro mode.

--Rik

dbur

Post by dbur »

Ha, I just saw a setting that says 'All in focus' -takes two shots to create 1 in-focus photo. Better remember about that one.

I don't see any option to shoot pro and raw in the default Android app, though I do get a raw option with Lightroom.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dbur wrote:Ha, I just saw a setting that says 'All in focus' -takes two shots to create 1 in-focus photo. Better remember about that one.
Aha! That sounds like a promising option. Could it have been selected for the photo that we're discussing?
I don't see any option to shoot pro and raw in the default Android app, though I do get a raw option with Lightroom.
I'm getting the feeling that the words "default Android app" really mean "whatever came on the phone". On my own HTC 10, the camera app seems to be named "Camera", and it's listed as version 8.60.1010636 .

--Rik

dbur

Post by dbur »

Yes it was ON.

Yes, whatever came on the phone. Might be called Moto Camera 2.

What app do you use for raw?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

On my phone, the "default Android app" (that thing called Camera) is happy to shoot raw.

So if I care about raw, I just switch Camera over to Pro mode and it saves a .dng along with the standard .jpg.

My app does not have the "All in focus" feature, however!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic