www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - A closer look at Mum's 'lil ones...
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A closer look at Mum's 'lil ones...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: A closer look at Mum's 'lil ones... Reply with quote

Here's a closer look at the spiderlings that I posted yesterday under "Just Mum and the 'lil ones...".

This is about 4.5mm across the field. At this magnification, even f/8 is starting to get fuzzy from diffraction. We can pull out a bit more detail by cropping closer, but not much:

The setup for this was a bit cobbled together. It's the Olympus 38mm f/2.8 bellows rig that I use for stacking, but handheld and stopped down to f/8. Stopping down sacrifices some resolution compared to what the lens will do wide open (see the comparison here), but it gives more DOF in a single shot while still being sharp enough for the web.

Optically, the setup is similar to an MP-E 65 at maximum magnification. It's rather less convenient, but I already had this and I don't have an MP-E 65. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs...

--Rik

Canon 300D, Olympus 38mm f/2.8 bellows lens at f/8, crops from 5mm field width = 4.5X onto the sensor, strobe lighting.
beetleman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are just incredible Rik. The little ones are actually pretty cute if you ask me. It looks like their legs are just about transparent Shocked
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are kind of cute little things, aren't they?

I think you're right about them being transparent, the legs anyway. It's hard to tell for sure. Normally I'd wave something behind one and see if it showed through, but these things are inside a loose web, crammed in a pretty inaccessible space between the wheel and the barrow. I can see in, but I can't reach in.

A challenge for another day, I guess. (Where would we be without those? Very Happy )

--Rik
MacroLuv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they were made of jelly. Very Happy

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. Very Happy
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you just look at those spiders! Shocked I think I will go out and buy a new pair of shoes...LARGE ones. Wink Great images there Rik, thanks...I think. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: