Kidney Stones

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jody Melanson

Kidney Stones

Post by Jody Melanson »

I just went through a recent bout of nasty Kidney Stones. Anyhoo, I had 5 surgeries in less than 2 months. Here are some of the stones I passed.

These were shot with the reverse 50 setup I use. These Stones are small as a result of Lithotripsy. Lithotripsy is a surgery where they blast the Stones with shock waves while they are still in you.

You can see by the jagged edges why they cause so much pain! :O

This bad boy I just passed last weekend, early Saturday morning. From the 0 to the first line on the right is 1/8th of an inch. This image is a stack of 5 images to get the DOF I needed. I wouldn't wish Kidney Stones on my worst enemy.

Here is a crop of above.

Those of you that don't get Kidney Stones, count your blessings! :D Those of you that do get them, I feel for you. :(
Capturer of God's Creations.

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Glad to have you back with us, Jody! :D

I am very sorry to hear of your troubles. I have escaped these things myself, for which I am most grateful. {-o<

The pictures are excellent, as usual. The crop makes abundantly clear why these things are so painful, even after being broken up.

Also in the crop it seems that there are bands of blur between the sharp zones. Is that just a matter that 5 frames is not enough at this aperture setting, or is something else going on?

--Rik

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

An interesting post Jody and some nice pics too. Excellent lighting for the subject with super detail even at high resolution (pic3).

I'm off to Google a bit more info about the subject.

Bruce :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have yet to or have never had kidney stones. My grandfather did as I recall though and he really hurt. These things hurt from just looking at the photographs of them. The water here in North Carolina is full of minerals and some people say that it will give you stones after a while of consumption over a good many years I believe. I don't know about those things but from looking at these photos, this is all I ever hope that I will ever have to learn about them. Nice shots, if you can say that, by the way. :)

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

nice shots, how do you get them?
Jordan L. photo southern california.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Jody,

Ouch! :shock:
Good shots of a painful subject... think I enjoy your usual camera subjects far more!

tpe

Post by tpe »

Ouch ouch ouch, but very good to see, at a distance in a photograph :).

Thanks

tim

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Yeoow. I hope that the stone are wholly a rememberance of things past. Good shots though.

Irwin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I never did run into a good Kidney stone. Excellent photos Jody
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

My wife who's had kidney stones twice has told me that if I ever get them, it'll be the closest thing I could experience to Labour (we have 4 kids). I don't want them. It's amazing that something so small causes sooooo much pain.

The fact that you've had a couple surgeries and such would lend me to make sure you and your Doctor talk about diet and see what's causing these to begin with.

Interesting pics, I like unique macro subjects.
Carl B. Constantine

Simonl

Post by Simonl »

Great shots - I can sympathise with you. Been suffering with Calcium Oxilate stones for about 5 years now. Can't begin to describe how painful they are.

Passed one (the natural way! - OUCH!) about 3 years ago that was over 6mm in diameter - apparently any larger and it has to be surgically removed. Was taken to the lab for analysis before I could take a picture.

Thanks for the detailed photos, never seen them before in such detail. (Normally don't pay to much attention when on tramadol or morphine :wink: )

Hope you stay stone free.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic