Another interesting curiosity

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Another interesting curiosity

Post by gpmatthews »

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

well that's kinda cool. I would have thought the Geko would have eaten the insect first, then the honey dew. But, what do I know.
Carl B. Constantine

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Interesting....There's no indication that the gecko eats the planthopper. I can understand this with ants and aphids, because they are close to the same size, but I wouldn't think a teeny planthopper would be able to store up enough honeydew to make a difference for a comparatively huge gecko.

The hopper's camoflauge is certainly good.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nicely filmed and narrated.

But I can't help wondering if there's been a bit too much interpretation of this happy little relationship.

It's common behavior for hoppers to dispose of excess honeydew by flicking it off in small drops, whether there's anything around to grab the drops or not.

What we see in the film could be easily explained as nothing more than a hopper doing what hoppers always do, combined with a gecko that's "figured out" it can get more nutrition by eating the hopper's leftovers day after day than by eating the hopper once.

Alas, that version wouldn't have such a nice comfy Attenborough feel...which means it wouldn't sell nearly as well. :)

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Thanks for linking this, Graham! Interesting and I would have otherwise missed the program. (Missed the previous programs of that series, though :( but hopefully the BBC will repeat it sometime or other :wink:)

With Sir David as presenter it´s always guaranteed that it´s a first class program in the good tradition of BBC natural history documentary.

--Betty

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

This is a fascinating piece of video Graham. Thanks for posting it. :)
Joan Young

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic