Vision Engineering Dynascope Stereoscope

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Vision Engineering Dynascope Stereoscope

Post by Smokedaddy »

I scored a couple of nice stereoscopes local to me the other day at a smoking price. A VE Dynascope TS-3 and a TS-4. The TS-3 came with the optional motorized oblique accessory. I completely disassembled both scopes, cleaned all seven mirrors and vacuumed off all of the optics. I even pulled the motor, cleaned it off and centered it. The motor spins a prismatic mirror (about 2500 RPM) giving you alternating left and right images for each eye at a high "refresh rate". Everything is in excellent condition now. I need to do some minor rewiring. I think the stereo views are very nice and the oblique accessory is interesting (probably more of a novelty to me). Sure is a lot nicer than looking through a binocular stereoscope, at least for me. I'm definitely happy with the purchases.

A link to a few pics of the VE stereoscopes are below if you're not familiar with them.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/vision_engineering

Here's a short video with it in operation. None of the internal mirrors had been cleaned when this video was made. Only the oblique mirrors were cleaned. The oblique viewing starts at around 1:30 for those impatient types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmP_DPUW0pI

I took a few specimen pics with my smartphone pointed at the screen. It was super difficult getting the smartphone positioned correctly. The pics below don't do justice to what I actually see. The specimens are; magnetic core memory, meteorite thin section, mineral thin section, fossil and an old raspberry pi.

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Wow--magnetic core memory--awesome!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic