London in Near Infrared

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

London in Near Infrared

Post by gpmatthews »

Here are a couple of views from the 17th floor of the offices I work at in Vauxhall, London, taken with a newly modified camera in the near infrared.

The first picture is looking from Vauxhall towards Westminster along the Thames. In the foreground is Vauxhall Bridge, the next bridge is Lambeth Bridge and beyond on the right you can see the London Eye. You can just see Westminster and the Houses of Parliament, but not very clearly:

The second picture is in the opposite direction, looking towrds Battersea, with the old Battersea power station and its four iconic chimneys. Unfortunately there are some slight reflections from the window:

The pictures came about because I wanted to convert another camera to NIR. The original converted camera was very difficult to use because of a broken LCD screen and because I used external filtering. I therefore obtained another identical camera (Aiptek Pocket Cam 3Mega) and replaced the internal IR blocking filter with a DIY visible light blocking filter.

The DIY filter came about because I had been doing some experimental photomicrography in the near IR and noted that my DIC setup did not work very far into the NIR. I realised this was because the polarising filters were not working and were transparent to NIR, with no polarising properties in this part of the spectrum. Hence, my NIR pass filter is in fact two crossed polars, which pass NIR but block visible light. They are fitted internally in place of the original IR blocking filter. This approach seems to work very well. I intend to try this camera on the microscope.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic