MPE 65 for sale (SOLD)

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

puzzledpaul

MPE 65 for sale (SOLD)

Post by puzzledpaul »

Typical - see one used (in UK) when have recently bought one ... :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-MP-E-65-Mac ... dZViewItem

pp
Last edited by puzzledpaul on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Up - as edit doesn't move orig.

pp

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I told somebody a few years ago if they wanted one, no need to buy new as you can get a virtually unused secondhand one by doing a "Save the Search" on EBAY when they would get automatic e-mails when somebody posted one if they were patient.

These lenses do come up quite regularly on EBAY when their owners just cannot live with the shallow depth of field produced at higher magnifications if they are not photostackers. I have even seen a couple for sale on EBAY at the same time.

I think many general photographers must buy them thinking they will get as much depth of field from 1:1 onwards as they did with a conventional macro lens down to 1:1 and then are disappointed when DOF is minimal.

Pity Nikon do not make one though, or that they do not fit Nikon's.

DaveW

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Dave - Yes, in my case am familiar with the 'SaS' :) feature ... but wasn't used here (although I checked in std way) prior to buying mine.

Not that it's a partic problem ('cos can have multiple Sas's) - but with this partic beast, then ppl describe it in different ways, and sometimes the arrangement of characters isn't picked up.

There were 2 (both in uk) that timed out last night ... one of which all previous searches hadn't picked up ... but 'canon macro' did.

In my case this was the first (ever) purchase of a new bit of SLR kit ... so it's certainly not something I do on a regular basis ... whilst getting it when I did - Mid Nov - wasn't a good move from the 'likely target' pov ... its use indoors under artificial light (for the target aquisition stage) very quickly prompted me to do something about providing a 'light to see /focus by' ... which has now been in use for the prob about 1.5 > 2k shots I've taken with this lens.

I think your comments about why they appear is pretty 'spot on', btw - but I think it's also a specific, partic. example of the overall 'must have latest' scenario that you mentioned recently - ppl see excellent (macro) pics on the net and vastly underestimate the time and effort etc that's been taken / expended to achieve same ... then v. quickly become disillusioned.

'Shooting macro' almost seems to be one of the new 'fashions' in a way ... a bit like taking up woodturning / pottery / writing kids books etc ... when spare time becomes greater.

Anyway ... whilst there was prob. an element of the 'sweeties at checkout' philosophy involved, it'd certainly been mulled over for a while ... and you're unlikely to see mine up for sale unless there's a whole pack of wolves at the door :)

Roll on spring / summer ...

pp

btw, the two last night went for £420 / £441 before p&p ... I paid £515 new.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I found that with UK EBAY auctions. I got my new 70mm-180mm Micro Nikkor (a then recently withdrawn lens) at a clearance price from a German Nikon dealer for not much more than they are now going secondhand on EBAY UK as a supposed scarce item.

You can often pick up smaller stuff secondhand on US EBAY auctions and import it cheaper than it goes secondhand on UK EBAY auctions! I got some of my Nikon extension tubes cheaper from both the US and Germany than they were fetching on UK EBAY auctions, plus a secondhand Nikon 6T close up lens (also now a withdrawn item) from a US auction at way under UK EBAY auction prices!

For more expensive items you have to take into account you may be charged Import Duty from the US. But you can import photographic stuff from anywhere in the EU to the UK duty free, as we are a common market.

DaveW

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Dave - good point / reminder about 'going US / worldwide' (for us Brits) ... have also got a fair bit of stuff from outside the UK :)

This'll soon be a 'using EB' tips thread at this rate ...

pp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic