cyclidium

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nanometer

cyclidium

Post by nanometer »

One of my first images with DIC. 40x splan, BH2 BHS, Sony A99. After a bit of kludging, I now have flash. I've been using the old trusty Diavert with phase for a long time, and decided it was time to feed the hobby further.

Steve

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Nice !

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Very good, the flash has frozen the cilia nicely. How did you attach the flash?

Dave

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Thanks for looking Jacek and Dave. For flash, I used a Sony pellicle for a full frame camera placed under the condenser. It transmits 70% so I get 30% of the flash power which seems sufficient. I'm flashing with a Godox AD200, and it has plenty of power for the job. This crude setup at least has me up and running quickly. I saw Charlie Krebs' page where he put a flash tube in the lamphouse, but I didn't want to go there at this time.

For the camera mounting, I'm using the Olympus OM L adapter. I removed the OM mount and put on a Minolta mount (which my Sony camera's use). I got lucky in that the stackup with the new adapter made it exactly parfocal with the eyepieces without any spacers. The Sony flange distance is about 1.5mm shorter than the OM camera, but the adapter alone made up the difference.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Thanks for that Steve.

Dave

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

It's a party: 20x, dic

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Looks great to me. I still haven't made anything myself. I just got my CNC machine configured yesterday. I would like to build something like Anne's posting. I have fabrication skills but that's about it.

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Smokedaddy wrote:Looks great to me. I still haven't made anything myself. I just got my CNC machine configured yesterday. I would like to build something like Anne's posting. I have fabrication skills but that's about it.
Hi James,

Did Anne explain exactly what her setup is? Does she have a collimator lens in front of the flash? My setup is crude. I glued the Sony SLT pellicle to a plastic card and then glued the card onto a piece of PVC pipe with a 45-deg cut. I did the whole thing with a wood chop saw. The flash sits off to the side on a small tripod. The project took about an hour.

Background uniformity is a problem for 10 and 20x for the full field, but seems great for 40 and 100. I'm guessing the setup has variations that interact with the DIC optics. I'm hoping that a collimator lens would clean that up. The 'party' image here is full field at 20x, and I applied of a couple of gradient filters in Lightroom to mostly even out the background.

Steve

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

nanometer wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote:Looks great to me. I still haven't made anything myself. I just got my CNC machine configured yesterday. I would like to build something like Anne's posting. I have fabrication skills but that's about it.
Hi James,

Did Anne explain exactly what her setup is? Does she have a collimator lens in front of the flash? My setup is crude. I glued the Sony SLT pellicle to a plastic card and then glued the card onto a piece of PVC pipe with a 45-deg cut. I did the whole thing with a wood chop saw. The flash sits off to the side on a small tripod. The project took about an hour.

Background uniformity is a problem for 10 and 20x for the full field, but seems great for 40 and 100. I'm guessing the setup has variations that interact with the DIC optics. I'm hoping that a collimator lens would clean that up. The 'party' image here is full field at 20x, and I applied of a couple of gradient filters in Lightroom to mostly even out the background.

Steve
Hey Steve, we talked about this a long time ago. I have pics of your setup. I wanted to fabricate something like Anne's setup for my Optiphot Biological and PZO Biolar. Hopefully something low profile. From the looks of her pics the guy that made it did indeed put a collimator in the setup. YOU already know I don't know squat about stuff like this BUT I'm capable of mimicking or fabricating just about anything, I just need the specifics on the components. I know you once mentioned to me that a Pellicle would be better but I was clueless what you were talking about. <g> Seems there are a variety of them, then variables, then the size I would need etc. I don't need any more doorstops due to lack of knowledge on purchasing. She mentioned semi-permeable mirror and based on the pics posted that would be pretty easy to make a holder for the mirror IF I knew what it was and where to buy one of those.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPTICAL-MICROS ... Swc3ZUq2yS

Here's her setup.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37896

-JW:

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Thanks for the link to Anne's description, and yes I see the lens down in the thread. I have to try out a lens. The setup you saw was for my diavert and Heine condenser. It has worked very well being simply fed with a flash zoom head which I set to 110mm. Unfortunately, this AD200 flash has the zoom head set at 35mm, so at the least, I'm wasting a lot of light, but I suspect that wide angle beam is giving me uniformity problems at low power.

Anne appears to be using a plate beamsplitter. The SLT pellicle is essentially the same thing except it's really thin (about 0.3mm). It transmits 70% and reflects 30%.

Here's a pic of my kludge with the BH2. The PVC is rotated out so you can see the Sony pellicle. The Sony has the added benefit of being quite inexpensive for its size (~$70) and is mounted on a thick metal frame. Though not as perfected as Anne's, this got me up and running quickly on my newly acquired rig.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic