Chinese Microscopes

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dave S

Chinese Microscopes

Post by Dave S »

As I said in my intro, I am a keen amateur photographer, about to venture into the world of photomicroscopy.

Although my photography equipment is 'high end', I'm not looking to spend 'big money' on a microscope, in case I don't take to it.

As such I have been looking at the multitude of Chinese microscopes, branded Swift, AmScope Omax, Brunel etc, etc. All cosmetically different, but with pretty much identical specs. Many likely emanating from the same factory.

My guess is that they are all pretty much the same 'beast' apart from the name, with neither 'badge' being any better than the other, and its all down to quality control, or the lack of it.

So, does it really matter which 'brand' you buy, and is it 'pot luck' if you get a good one, or a bad one?

I should say, that at this time, my budget is around £300, at which there are plenty of offerings from the above mentioned suppliers.

Your comments/ input would be much appreciated.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

One factor is the level of qc and support the company offers, which varies and can be an important factor when dealing with Chinese microscopes.

That being said, you will generally get a lot more bang for your buck (power for your pound?) by buying a quality used scope.

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

Yes, I would agree, you get a great deal for your money with second-hand, in terms of quality, adaptability, and expertise around in using it.

I too am based in the UK, and there are meetings where there are sales, often run by one or both of the amateur (mostly) societies that exist, the Quekett and the Postal Microscopical Society.

Both have website, and have contact details for more info.

I would be happy to help, and I would say for you to PM me, though it may take a while before you are allowed to do this on the forum.

There is also a small group called the 'Eastern Counties' group, that I believe meet now and then in the Colchester area. Again, and I can provide more info.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the microscopic.

Mike
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Photomicro wrote:I would be happy to help, and I would say for you to PM me, though it may take a while before you are allowed to do this on the forum.
Dave, welcome aboard. Your PM privileges are not restricted, so you can PM Photomicro immediately.

--Rik

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Photomicro wrote:I would be happy to help, and I would say for you to PM me, though it may take a while before you are allowed to do this on the forum.
Dave, welcome aboard. Your PM privileges are not restricted, so you can PM Photomicro immediately.

--Rik
Good to know Rik...must be *another* forum I am thinking of.
:D
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Photomicro wrote:must be *another* forum I am thinking of.
It's pretty common for forums to restrict email and PM for a while, as a defense against spammers.

But as far as I can tell this forum is not set up to do that. We prevent spammers in other ways.

If anybody sees otherwise, please let me know!

--Rik

Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Thanks for your inputs guys, much appreciated.

I will PM Mike for info on the local group. I am a 15min drive from Colchester.

I would agree that you can get "a lot more bang for your buck" by buying second hand, but I am one of those strange people that only ever buys new, including cars. Not good financial sense, but no concerns as to its history, and if it has a problem then its covered by warranty. I guess its all part of being at that stage in life when I am into SKI-ing (spending kids inheritance) :D .

At this stage. I am "dipping my toe in the water" with microscopy, and if I take to it, then I would later upgrade to a better instrument. However, at this time I just want something reasonable (not a toy) to experiment with to get 'a taste' for photomicrography. It might be an odd combination to put £3.5k DSLR body on a £300 microscope, but that is where this venture will begin.

With photographic equipment, and telescopes, I am well informed, but microscopes are a new area.

I do have a website at: https://davesimaging.wixsite.com/mysite

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic