Focusing on insects

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hotrodder19

Focusing on insects

Post by hotrodder19 »

Hi, did send in a new topic an hour ago but did not list a topic--silly. It related to focusing on an insect and how to photograph it with parts varying in undulation for example an inch ant where the body is smaller than the head as an example. I am to use a D750 and 200mm nikon F4 lens plus extension rail with forward and side movement capability. The question was how to change the focus from taking pics of the body which would be deeper in the pic than the head etc. Do I just keep re focusing for each pic as I move the slider ? lLook forward to some instructive comment.

Cheers Russell

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Russell, I can't find any trace of the new topic that you mention, so I have no idea what was in that.

For the question you've asked here, I have to confess that I don't completely understand it.

Is your concern that there is range of depths where nothing visible is in focus, and you're wondering whether you need to shoot those depths or should just skip over them?

If so, then I think it's better to shoot them anyway. That will simplify the stacking software's job in maintaining alignment from one end to the other. So yes, just keep moving and shooting.

If not that, then please rephrase your question and perhaps upload some image that shows the issue.

--Rik

hotrodder19

Focusing on insects

Post by hotrodder19 »

Thanks Rik for the comment. Yes I guess you answered the question by relating to what the stacking software would need in order to maintain a systematic alignment. The same question really relates to any insect or such where their body is not uniform and has thick and thinner sections. As such for example the thorax of a large ant is smaller than the head area and I was not sure if you would just focus down to it go along and then re focus on the other areas including the head which would be closer to the micro objective and so re focus would be needed. If you were just doing the head which is where I may now start at least most will be in a reasonable same plane for focusing. Many thanks for the comment.
Cheers Russell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic