Green Longhorn Moth

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Troels

Green Longhorn Moth

Post by Troels »

A big swarm of theese danced in the afternoon sun. Sometimes they rested a few seconds on a beech leaf before taking aff again.

You must wonder how they are able to navigate with such a pair of wires. Very inconvenint in windy weather.

Full size at flickr

The English name is a little strange since it is entirely black with very glossy wings.
Last edited by Troels on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Green Longhorn

Post by rjlittlefield »

Troels wrote: The English name is a little strange since it is entirely black with very glossy wings.
Adela reamurella? Other images on the web show individuals that have a distinct green sheen in certain illumination. Is this the same beast?

--Rik

Troels

Post by Troels »

I do not claim to be an expert, but of the around 20 species in Denmark of the family Adelidae only two are mainly black in color. The other is Adela cuprella, but this has completely white antennas while A. reamurella has black basis and white more distant.

I also read, that the color of the wings is somewhat variable and sometimes difficult to determine. Se here how the reflections in the scales give different impressions.

I can see hints of green blue and violet.

I have also compared with the pictures in the Danish citizen science database "Fugle og Natur" (menans Birds & Nature). Many of the photos there are similar to mine. See here

But of course there could be errors - like the obvious errors in the collection from Google you linked to.

[Edit:] I have sent the pictures to evaluation at the experts at Fugle & Natur.
Always nice to be corrected.
Visit my Flickr albums

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

The common name, "longhorn" is also the English name for cerambycid beetles.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Lou,
Yes, you are right. I have now changed the topic title to "Green Longhorn Moth".

And a Danish lepidopterologist has confirmed that is is Adela reamurella.
Visit my Flickr albums

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

No matter what their name is, they are amazing creatures. I had not known about them before seeing your pictures, though I seem to have dim childhood memories of seeing something similar back in the northern US when I was growing up.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Yes, and amazing to see them dance. The antennas make big curved lines glittering in the sun like spider web. At first glance I had no idea what kind of animal it was. The black fur and the shiny wings made me think of rubberflies.

First time I saw them there were hundreds dancing in a limited area. Unfortunately I did not have my camera at hand. The pictures are taken the next day where the number of insects was much lower. It was impossible for me to get decent shots of flying moths.
Visit my Flickr albums

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Do they dance around a female?

Troels

Post by Troels »

All the individuals I photographed resting on leaves in between their dancing were males. The antennas of the females are much shorter.

From what I have read only the males are dancing. The females then pick the one they like best. A mating behaviour also known from some species of birds (f. i. the wader called Ruff (Calidris pugnax).

Other insects using long, thin appendices for dancing are the Mayflies. But their 3 "threads" start from the hind end, kind of tails. They also make a beautiful sight.

It is tempting to imagine that the threads besides their visual sex appeal also have an aerodynamic function in the dance by slowing down the descent after an energy consuming ascent. A very low weight animal will feel the air resistance much stronger, than we do. Small spiders use a single thread as a kite/parachute.
Visit my Flickr albums

Shilden_72

Post by Shilden_72 »

If they're the same species I sometimes see when traveling there, then yes, they do dance around females. And I do think they're the same species, you can't really mistake these antennae for something else!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Lovely documentation!
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Troels

Post by Troels »

Thanks to all for looking and commenting!

I continued the study in my stacking studio, so look for really close-up fotos of the wing in the other forum .
Visit my Flickr albums

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic