Cicindela in spring mode

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Troels

Cicindela in spring mode

Post by Troels »

Last year I posted pictures of the brown Cicindela hybrida.
To day I was lucky to observe the beautiful green Cicindela campestris depositing eggs in the sandy soil on the track i use so often.

Suddenly an other Cicindela arrived, attacked the first one and grabbed her in the neck with his big jaws. After a second he shifted the grip and started mating.

I thought it might be the right curcumstances to get a chance to get close enough with my 60 mm macro lens. And sure enough.
(Full size at Flickr )

Handheld, natural light.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

DesolateMirror

Post by DesolateMirror »

Great capture.

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi Troels,
Those Cicindela are a really great subject.
Do they normally live in sand area?

Would love to do some images of them myself.

Great shot and thanks for sharing :D
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Beautifully photographed!
A female laying eggs would already be mated, but I guess they will allow mixed husbandry of their offspring.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Troels

Post by Troels »

Thanks for responding!

Harald,
The Cicindela (aka Tiger Beetle and in Danish: Sandspringer) prefer sandy soil, heather land and sunny weather.
The adults hunt by running around on the sandy surface while the larva hunt by lurking in a hole in sandy soil, often along track and paths.
If you missed it I described the life of the larvae here.

I can see here that they are found in Norway up to Tromsoe but most abundant in the southern part of Norway. Good luck with the hunt!

Mark,
as far as I understand, in many insects the eggs are not fertilized during the mating. Instead the siemen is stored in a receptacle untill the moment the eggs are layed. Perhaps the female just filled op the storage before a new turn of egg laying.

The father could the same or a different one. Difficult to say.
Visit my Flickr albums

Susan Smitha

Post by Susan Smitha »

Fabulous shot!

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Very nice image, thank you for sharing, Troels. Cicindela beetles are my favorite common ones.

I am surprised f/13 on micro four thirds can produce such deep DoF at that magnification. Did you crop the image?

I have not been able to produce nice macro images under natural light, so would be nice to learn from you. Thank you again.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Thanks for commenting!

zzffnn,
Yes, I have cropped the original image to almost 50% width resulting in a ca. 4 MP image (before resizing to the desired 1024 px at pm.net). Not high resolution for big prints, but enough for impressive images on the web.

Ideally I should have used a longer focal length, but my new 40-150 mm has not arrived yet! Using only 60 mm i was reluctant to get very close to the sharp eyed animal. I is very alert and got scared after my first 8 pictures.

It is always a challenge to get good macro images of live animals under natural light conditions. Especially since direct sunlight often makes ugly shadows. I always produce tons of shaken or out-of-focus Pictures.

In this case I turned up the ISO to 800 realizing I needed both high f-number and fast shutter. And I lay flat on my stomach with albows resting on the ground ("body tripod"). Most of my "wildlife" macro shots are cropped more or less to fill the frame.
Visit my Flickr albums

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic