Photography from Maui, part 1

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Photography from Maui, part 1

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Last summer the family went on a 10 day vacation to Maui, Hawaii. It was amazing, and of course I brought the camera. This is the first post from this adventure. One thing that is noticed right away is that many of the arthropods (and ALL of the lizards) are species that were introduced by people. There are still species that made it to the islands on their own as well.
Much of the southern area of this small island is pretty dry. One of the insects that I encountered several times on the south side was the largest grasshopper that I had ever seen. This is the grey bird grasshopper (Schistocerca nitans), which is a kind of locust that also lives in the southwestern U.S., where it can be a pest. On the Hawaiian islands, however, it has become a more serious pest and there it has been known to swarm. This species probably got there by flying over on its own. The one shown here had a serious infestation with mites, and that is probably why I could get so close to it as it seemed to have little energy. The others that were encountered were super alert and very agile.
ImageGrey Bird Grasshopper by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

A major place to visit for me was the Maui National Wildlife Refuge. This is a large park that includes woods, fields, and extensive wetlands that reach the sea. Here, the Hawaiian garden spider (Argiope appensa) was especially common. The spiders would usually hang in their webs the 'wrong way', but one can simply reach around and gently tap them on their back, and flip they would obligingly switch sides. This spider is indigenous to several islands in the Pacific.
ImageHawaiian garden spider by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Also at the wildlife refuge I found this lovely Asian mantis nymph (Hierodula patellifera). I think the 2nd picture is especially dignified ;).
ImageAsian mantis nymph by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageAsian mantis nymph by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Susan Smitha

Post by Susan Smitha »

Well done! You took wonderful photos. Especially I love that spider photo.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

An effective series, and your comments are appreciated. I like the first mantid nymph shot better, though--more contrast with the background.

Leonard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic