StackShot 3x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

StackShot 3x

Post by ray_parkhurst »

It looks like StackShot 3x controller and software can do Stack and Stitch. I had not considered their solution before, but since they claim compatibility with Helicon Remote, I may want to try using it on my new system. Does anyone have experience with the 3x system, or with integration of the 1x or 3x systems with Helicon Remote? I have sent similar questions to StackShot support but want to hear from anyone here using the system as well. I did like using Helicon Remote with my old Trinamic system. I guess I'll also ask Helicon guys similar questions, and if all sounds good I may try using the 3x with my sensor-pan system.

edited to add: with the Trinamic system, Helicon Remote would trigger the camera over USB. No trigger cable required. With the StackShot 1x or 3x, does this still work, or do I need separate trigger cable (with manual LV intervention)?

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Ray

I have Helicon Remote but not a Stackshot Rail.

My suggestion, download the 30 day trial of Helicon Remote and test it directly: https://www.heliconsoft.com/software-downloads/

Help over at the Helicon Forums is very good, even for people with the trial version. Just do not post a link to any other forum or you get a 14 day ban.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I looked through the revision history for Helicon Remote, and the only revision I found related to the StackShot 3x was way back in Nov 2014:

- Preliminary Stackshot 3X support (single axis only)

So now it looks like Remote does not support the 3x controller fully.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Got a reply from Cognisys confirming that Helicon Remote only works for 1 axis, so it's out.

So, does anyone on the forum use a StackShot 3x for Stack and Stitch? Is there SnS software to facilitate this, or does it only work standalone?

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

No help in the short term, but Helicon have been very responsive to new feature requests.

It might be worth a post over at the forum asking for the feature - 3 axis support. I have some features they added after my request and other one in the development queue.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Ray,

If you can’t get the Stackshot to work, you might consider what I’m doing with the Raspberry Pi and Tic and Trinamic controllers. I’ll help you get it working. With the THK rails, this is at a performance level like nothing I’ve experienced before.

Will work for lenses????

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

mawyatt wrote:Will work for lenses????
Thanks Mike, I may take you up on it if I can't get the 3x system working. I got a response back from Cognisys so they are working with me to fix the problem. Let's see how it goes!

JohnDownie

Post by JohnDownie »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
mawyatt wrote:Will work for lenses????
Thanks Mike, I may take you up on it if I can't get the 3x system working. I got a response back from Cognisys so they are working with me to fix the problem. Let's see how it goes!
Hello Ray,

I am wondering if you had an update regarding stacking and stitching with the 3X.

John

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

JohnDownie wrote:
Hello Ray,

I am wondering if you had an update regarding stacking and stitching with the 3X.

John
Hi John,

No further updates from Stackshot folks. I'm in stealth mode right now so if you're interested you may need to contact them directly.

Ray

JohnDownie

Post by JohnDownie »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
JohnDownie wrote:
Hello Ray,

John
Hi John,

No further updates from Stackshot folks. I'm in stealth mode right now so if you're interested you may need to contact them directly.

Ray
Thanks, Ray.

I sent a note to Paul at StackShot earlier today and will report back what I learn.

JohnDownie

The answer is yes to stacking

Post by JohnDownie »

Paul answered in the affirmative.

I then checked the 3X manual...

5.4 Stacking: X-Y-Z Scanning/Stacking

This mode is for focus-stacking large objects using three macro-rails. The X-axis is for focus stacking, where the Y and Z-axis are intended for scanning across the surface being stacked. This will allow you to stitch together focus-stacked images for a giga-pixel extended depth of field image. The process is identical to X-Y scanning/stacking in the previous section 5.3 with the addition of the Z-axis.

mawyatt

Re: The answer is yes to stacking

Post by mawyatt »

JohnDownie wrote:Paul answered in the affirmative.

This mode is for focus-stacking large objects using three macro-rails. The X-axis is for focus stacking, where the Y and Z-axis are intended for scanning across the surface being stacked. This will allow you to stitch together focus-stacked images for a giga-pixel extended depth of field image. The process is identical to X-Y scanning/stacking in the previous section 5.3 with the addition of the Z-axis.
John,

There's been a few folks using custom built S&S setups, usually involving the surplus THK KR rails for X, Y and/or Z with various controllers. Here's just one of many threads.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ack+stitch

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

JohnDownie

Re: The answer is yes to stacking

Post by JohnDownie »

mawyatt wrote:
JohnDownie wrote:Paul answered in the affirmative.

John,

There's been a few folks using custom built S&S setups, usually involving the surplus THK KR rails for X, Y and/or Z with various controllers. Here's just one of many threads.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ack+stitch

Best,
Thanks, Mike.

As Dirty Harry said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

I need my SnS to be as PnP as possible!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic