Fly - stereo composite

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Yawns wrote:Hi Beatsy .. can you tell how you got the white background? I like it a lot...
Just a piece of white card behind the specimen.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rjlittlefield wrote: Ultimately it's up to the user to choose the correct order [of the stereo pair] by visual inspection.
On further thought, there's a simple method that does not rely on visually inspecting the stereo pair.
  • 1. Suppose that the stereo shifts are ordered naturally, with first less than last. Then...
  • 2a. If the stack is ordered front-to-back after stacking, then the left-eye image will be generated first and Stereo > Start Preview will begin in parallel layout.
  • 2b. If the stack is ordered back-to-front after stacking, then the right-eye image will be generated first and Stereo > Start Preview will begin in crossed-eye layout.
--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

David Sykes wrote:Rik,

the areas causing viewing disparity are outlined in attached image.
You have already explained reason for 'leg problem'.

David

As I see them, these are all various manifestations of transparent foreground.

Shifting a stack often introduces transparent foreground or makes it worse, because it moves background detail that was seen clearly into areas where logically it should not be seen at all.

The left-most defect, under the abdomen, results from contamination by white surround. The same sort of contamination also appears around the rear leg (not marked in your diagram), at two spots just behind the basal segment of the front leg, and at the base of the proboscis.

On careful study, I'm intrigued to notice that the left-eye image, on the right side of Beatsy's pair, seems overall cleaner than even the big single image. Beatsy, is this just luck of the draw, or did you do something unusual with the shifts?

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic