Snowflakes from Colorado

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bralex

Snowflakes from Colorado

Post by bralex »

For those of you who live in warm places :)

The flakes are 2-3 mm, we had a nice steady snowfall today so I shot about 3000 pictures with focus bracketing (so not that many shutter presses!). Olympus EM-5 MkII, Olympus 60mm Macro, Raynox 150.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Very nice images that make me wish I were right now flying down Colorado steeps, my skis touching down as little as possible. March and April are the best months for Colorado skiing, to my mind.

Not sure I could ever photograph snowflakes in Colorado. Every time they'd fall I'd feel the irresistible call to Vail's back bowls and other spots where fresh powder is a joy. You must have a constitution of iron!

(Then, of course, there the lovely snowflakes one sees after a day of skiing--when one is too dog-tired to think about photomacrography. See again reference to your iron constitution.)

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Susan Smitha

Post by Susan Smitha »

Amazing! I have seen snowflakes first time so clearly. It's very beautiful. Wish I could take this in my hand. Great capture.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very nice, though I find the backgrounds distracting. A little bit more magnification would also help a lot. I recommend a Precision Optics close-up lens for the Oly 60; of all the close-up lenses I tried, that one worked the best on the Oly. Alternatively you could construct an automatic reversing ring that lets you focus bracket with the lens in reverse, giving you double or triple the magnification you have now, for only a few dollars investment (a set of extension tubes +reversing ring + some wires):

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

This will make lighting more difficult though, since ideally you need to have the lens end (which is broad) 17mm from the subject (a few more millimeters is ok).

bralex

Post by bralex »

Still processing the photos. Just found a sequence where you can literally see the snowflake blowing away :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic