I made a booboo, how to get x5 now?

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

@ChrisR. my Tamron lens is Tamron 272E Macro Lens. 90mm f/2.8
One of those goes to 1:1.
Do you mean you have a x2 converter you use it with?
Chris R

itsmee

Post by itsmee »

Thanks for the replies.
Okay, I think I should buy a cheap Canon. If I pay circa £250 what model should I look for?
And is MPB a good spot to buy from?

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

itsmee wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Okay, I think I should buy a cheap Canon. If I pay circa £250 what model should I look for?
And is MPB a good spot to buy from?
I know nothing about Canon cameras .. :)

If you look at MPB lenses Uk be aware of this ..they value a lot the cosmetic condition..( but the cosmetic doesn't takes pictures...)
so you can find there the same camera model with very low shutter count like 3.000 or 4.000 a lot cheaper than one with 40.000 or 50.000 shots..just because the first is described as "average" or "good"condition and the second as "Excelent".. but that's only the cosmetic of the body, and a couple of scratches in the plastic mean nothing...

I think they give 6 months warranty..

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

If I had an A77, which looks like a competent APS 24MP camera. I wouldn't buy another APS camera, at least not for a first try at higher magnification photography.
It's a somewhat complex business; buying the hardware is the easy bit.
If there was a need to change, I think I'd prefer something mirrorless, maybe a Sony A6000/6300.
You already have no flapping mirror (it's fixed, semi-transparent), and you have an electronic first shutter curtain, both of which are ideal. I don't know the camera more than that.

Unless you use a lens on the front of your macro lens, you will lose your auto diaphragm so everything will be surprisingly dark anyway.

That's OK on a fixed setup, as are things like extension tubes. If you get some cheap extension tubes ( <$10 per set) and an adapter ring to M42 (<$5), a whole world becomes open to you. M42 extension tubes are about $4!
Lenses of various types are from $20; (link)

Do you have any other lens to fit your Sony? That may open up further good and cheap options.

If you're set on the Laowa, then I'd get an adapter to your A77 and try it.
Either the glass or the glassless type, may work perfectly well. If not, it wouldn't have cost you much to find out.

Folk use the expensive Canon lens, the MP-E63, on short empty tubes, - I haven't tried but I haven't seen any reports of bad results.

I have an infinity/"glassed" adapter (different make) where I can easily remove the glass.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

"You already have no flapping mirror (it's fixed, semi-transparent), and you have an electronic first shutter curtain, both of which are ideal."

I'd suggest that this is only "almost ideal". "Ideal" is no mirror and no moving parts during or after the exposure (ie fully electronic shutter). Vibrations after the exposure, (such as those that occur in EFCS) can displace some specimens slightly between shots, especially those in liquid.

itsmee

Post by itsmee »

Okay fellas. I love the A77 and I’m not parting with it yet.

I can see the sense in buying a second hand DSLR to use on the WeMacro rig because I’m hoping to make this my new hobby.

I have only ever owned the A77 and I have no idea which Canon DSLR would be best for macro on a WeMacro rig.

What model Canon is best sub £300?

Thanks for all the help.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

When I wanted an extra body for a trip I bought a Canon 700D which at the time, at HDEW, a "grey import but with 3 years warranty" shop in the UK, was £300.
Models have moved a little bit since, but one at about that level would do.
EG https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipmen ... ku-801668/ at £254, shutter count 4xxx.
I expect though, that it wouldn't be as good as what you have! Fewer pixels, probably inferior low light performance, and a mirror which cycles on every shot and a shutter which moves after the shot (same as yours, probably).
Chris R

itsmee

Post by itsmee »

What a rollercoaster this has been for me.
I went from buying a secondhand Canon off MPB to nearly walking out with a 70d from Jessops, now I’m back to sticking with the A77 and buying a Mitakon Zhongyi 20mm f/2 4.5x Macro Lens. What do you think?

Also, it looks like it will be a month after I order for delivery, so what’s the best way to up the magnification on my Tamron 1:1 macro?
I have 68mm’s of extension tubes what will that get me?
Or is there something else I can do to get to x5?
Thanks for your patience :oops:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic