Zeiss 135mm f/2.0 APO Sonnar as a tube lens (not)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Zeiss 135mm f/2.0 APO Sonnar as a tube lens (not)

Post by Beatsy »

Quite some time ago, I bought a Samyang 2/135mm to try as a tube lens for Mitties. It failed dismally at that but delivered really nice images as a normal lens. So I kept it. But over time I came to dislike the plasticky feel compared to my other manual focus primes (Otuses), even though the image quality is top notch. After not much agonising I treated myself to a Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar this xmas. Glad I did! Otus-quality in rendering, feel and build. My, what a lens!

Of course, it had to be tried as a tube lens too, especially as I already had the 77mm to Mitty filter adapter. Conclusion: as a regular lens, wow! As a tube lens, don't bother.

First off, it costs a lot, weighs a ton and is massive...

Second, it vignettes on full frame every bit as severely as the Samyang, even wide open at F2. In fact, I had to stop down past f/3.5 to increase the vignetting. It worked fine on APS-C crop mode (with a 10x Mitty) with centre and edges being acceptably sharp, but corners were mushy. I did a quick comparison with the 2.8/135 Vivitar Komine (M42 lens) and there wasn't much in it. The APO Sonnar might have a little more contrast (which can be mistaken for sharpness) but overall it looks like the objective is the limiting factor - not either lens. This is a near 100% crop from the centre shot at f/2.8 on each lens

To be honest I'm kinda pleased the Sonnar failed the test as a tube lens. I can dedicate it capturing that lovely, wide-open rendering and bokeh it's really known for.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Steve,

Interesting, I recall the Samyang (Rokinon) 135 F2 was a direct optical copy of the Zeiss.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote:Interesting, I recall the Samyang (Rokinon) 135 F2 was a direct optical copy of the Zeiss.
I wouldn't be surprised, it is practically indistinguishable image quality-wise, and has the same 80cm min focus distance. I think the Zeiss colour is a smidge truer though (less change when calibrating with an xrite colourchecker). I can't really rationalise the purchase though, other than to confess a weakness for premium glass. The feel of the focussing mech is a big factor for me.

Should never have bought that first Otus - it's a slippery slope thereafter :) Thankfully, I consider my MF collection is "filled out" now, so I'm done for the foreseeable.

Munich

Post by Munich »

my MF collection is "filled out" now,
There is no such thing. Give up all hope!

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Beatsy wrote:
mawyatt wrote:Interesting, I recall the Samyang (Rokinon) 135 F2 was a direct optical copy of the Zeiss.
I wouldn't be surprised, it is practically indistinguishable image quality-wise, and has the same 80cm min focus distance. I think the Zeiss colour is a smidge truer though (less change when calibrating with an xrite colourchecker). I can't really rationalise the purchase though, other than to confess a weakness for premium glass. The feel of the focussing mech is a big factor for me.

Should never have bought that first Otus - it's a slippery slope thereafter :) Thankfully, I consider my MF collection is "filled out" now, so I'm done for the foreseeable.
That would make sense about the colour, color over here :D

I would think to reduce cost the Samyang/Rokinon has a lower quality core glass and/or less or lower quality lens coatings. BTW I have the same, not Zeiss :cry: , lens and found same result when used as tube lens, but tack sharp when used as intended :)

Santa was nice to you!! Now you'll have to show more superb images with the Zeiss!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote: That would make sense about the colour, color over here :D
Hah, we've spelt (not spelled) it "colour" four times longer than the USA has even existed! :twisted:
I would think to reduce cost the Samyang/Rokinon has a lower quality core glass and/or less or lower quality lens coatings. BTW I have the same, not Zeiss :cry: , lens and found same result when used as tube lens, but tack sharp when used as intended :)
Coatings are probably the main culprit ref "colour". Surprisingly, the Samyang has slightly better LoCA performance than the Zeiss. I never used to notice LoCA until I got into premium glass, now it sticks out like a sore thumb and bothers me no end (not easily correctable in post). Ensuring there's nothing in the scene to cause it is quite high up my mental checklist when composing shots now.
Santa was nice to you!! Now you'll have to show more superb images with the Zeiss!!
Wish Santa had been, but I had to use my own dosh for this one. Though I'm beginning to think nice primes are detrimental to my photography. I keep taking shots of mundane things, then spend ages drooling over the sharpness, micro-contrast and bokeh. Subject and composition? Pah - just look at that rendering! I've got it bad... :D

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Munich wrote:
my MF collection is "filled out" now,
There is no such thing. Give up all hope!
Great news! :D

kiennosuke

Post by kiennosuke »

The images cropped @100% were from the full frame or the apsc? I recently bought a Mitty BD - not M- plan apo 10x and i was thinking of using a zeiss sonnar m42 135mm as tube. It's not the new apo version, but the legacy lens: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/carlzeissjena-135mm/

On a 135mm my mitty should get to 6.5-7x right? Anyone tried this combination?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yes, I've tried this Zeiss 135mm with the Mitutoyo 5X and 10X inf. It gives (135/200) the rated magnification, and does vignette on a full frame sensor. IQ is good though on a smaller sensor. The Vivitar 135mm "Komine build" is also a good performer with the Mitutoyo, with about same performance as Zeiss.

Edit: Should mention this was an old Zeiss, 135mm F3.5 I believe.

Best,
Last edited by mawyatt on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mike

kiennosuke

Post by kiennosuke »

mawyatt wrote:Yes, I've tried this Zeiss 135mm with the Mitutoyo 5X and 10X inf. It gives (135/200) the rated magnification, and does vignette on a full frame sensor. IQ is good though on a smaller sensor. The Vivitar 135mm "Komine build" is also a good performer with the Mitutoyo, with about same performance as Zeiss.

Best,
thanks for the info!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic