some help please :)

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Oscar_macro

some help please :)

Post by Oscar_macro »

Greetings, I wanted to see if someone can help me with some doubts, I´m not sure If I´m posting in the right place, sorry if is not here.

The first one in reference to the Zerene software, I am very happy with the results I get for a rookie, but I´I’m not very clear with some of the options, and what would be the best configuration …

in the tab of; "advanced interpolators" what changes with the different options? there is one that would be better for stacks of X10, on plants and their trichomes, which are transparent and cross each other with many brightness ...
in the tab of; "align each frame agains first" would it be better if it is always activated?
I shot at 0,007 steps, If I shoot with smaller steps, and increase the number of photos, is this positive or negative or useless? I mean, will I accumulate more details or will I have more problems when they stack or just a waste of time?

My other question is if I have mounted the system correctly with the microscope objective, my setup is mounted in the following way; canon 5dsr, canon auto bellows, raynox 150 inverted, mitutoyo x10. I put a distance of 208 mm raynox lens to the sensor, and then just the objective, but should I separate it a bit from the raynox as I saw in some post? or is it right there ok?

I am sorry if they are very simple questions or are answered more times, I tried to read what I could. Thanks for your time!

pd to upload a photo I should put external and link? o I can upload here in the forum? I can´t find image button as I see in other post explained.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: some help please :)

Post by Pau »

Oscar_macro wrote:pd to upload a photo I should put external and link? o I can upload here in the forum? I can´t find image button as I see in other post explained.
There are two buttons:
Upload picture It opens a window that allows to locate the picture in your hard drive, then you must cilck open and then Send and finally Standard or insert picture and upload another one if you want to upload several images consecutively.

Img this is for showing an image located at another web site: paste the image url, select it and click Img
Pau

Oscar_macro

Post by Oscar_macro »

Pau thanks for the help, I have seen the FAQ but I do not get that button in my browser, I have tried other browsers and nothing, could it be that I have to have a minimum post or activate something? but I definitely do not have that button :?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I can´t find image button as I see in other post explained.
The "Upload picture" facility does not work if the user's Profile is set to "Board language: Spanish". This fact is noted in Step 1 of the Image Hosting Steps, but it's easy to overlook.

Anyway, go into your profile, set your board language to English, and after that, I expect the "Upload picture" button will appear as documented.
in the tab of; "advanced interpolators" what changes with the different options? there is one that would be better for stacks of X10, on plants and their trichomes, which are transparent and cross each other with many brightness ...
The advanced interpolators are mostly to handle cases where the source images are unusually sharp, for example landscapes shot at f/5.6. They will make little or no difference at high magnification such as the case you're describing, assuming that you do the stacking at full camera resolution. If you shrink your images first (not recommended!) then the higher Lanczos interpolators will do a little better job of retaining the increased sharpness (but reduced detail!) that is produced by the shrinking.
"align each frame agains first" would it be better if it is always activated?
For normal stacking, the option to "Align each frame against first frame separately" should not be selected. That option is mostly intended for high accuracy measuring applications, where input frames all have the same focus, and vary in lateral shift.
I shot at 0,007 steps, If I shoot with smaller steps, and increase the number of photos, is this positive or negative or useless?
This depends on the subject and illumination. You really have to try it and see. With well behaved subjects that are illuminated by very diffused light, there may be only a barely detectable difference between say step sizes 0.007 and 0.005 mm (using a 10X objective). With more difficult subjects and more directional illumination, the quality of rendering may improve significantly at 0.005, and you might prefer even smaller steps.

I think this is mostly driven by the extent to which subject features appear to "squirm around" laterally as focus is changed. See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 187#149187 for an illustration of that effect. With difficult subjects, the apparent lateral shift can be much more important than just the change of sharpness with focus. In these cases a very small step size is used to limit the lateral shift from frame to frame.
I put a distance of 208 mm raynox lens to the sensor, and then just the objective, but should I separate it a bit from the raynox as I saw in some post? or is it right there ok?
In my experience the edges and corners are slightly better if there is roughly 25 mm separation between the objective and the Raynox. It's one of those things where the difference is easy to see if you're specifically testing for it, but would not be obvious or troublesome in most actual pictures.

--Rik

Oscar_macro

Post by Oscar_macro »

wow really thanks for your time and all the answers Rjlittlefield!! you help me a lot, I will try to do some test and upload photos so I can learn more. I been doing photos all my life, but extreme macro it´s another world, It is fascinating but requires a lot of patience and a lot of time to get the setup to work correctly, but it's definitely worth it when things go well.

I have another doubt, when you finish a stack and on one of the sides, or sometimes in two, the image comes out as a quick move, as with some lines ... that's a problem that the rail does not go in the right direction with the direction of the lens, are they not straight, or that the lens is not straight to the sensor? or none of that ...

thanks a lot again! :D

pd I change forum to english version and working perfect picture button now

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic