Say cheeeese when watching telly with a rebel

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

Say cheeeese when watching telly with a rebel

Post by Planapo »

Yesterday I came across a hack for clicking the shutter of rebels via IR remote control. It´s reported that it works with the 300D, 350D and 400D (aka Rebel, Rebel XT, Rebel XTi respectively) . Maybe some of you who are using one of these camera models haven´t heard about it yet, so I thought I should tell you.

It works with these programmable all-in-one universal replacement remote controls for telly, satellite receiver, VCR, hifi-sytem etc. They are sold at very cheap prices over here at supermarkets and grocery shops. Ours, for instance, came from Aldi. 8)

If one has such a remote control and wants to program it for use with the camera I´ve read that one way that can work is to proceed as follows: Program the button <SAT> or <DSAT> with code 0580 or 580, i. e. while the camera is switched on, align that button and that code with the camera according to the manual that comes with the remote control.
If this programming was successful, make sure the camera´s drive mode is set on 'self timer/remote control'. Then press <SAT> or <DSAT> on the IR remote control to activate the system, and thereafter the shutter should click when you press <PROG+> or <VOL+>.

I´ve tried it today with the 400D, and it worked immediately. :D

--Betty

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

Now that's a cool trick. I'll have to try that. I have a spare universal remote. hmmmmm....
Carl B. Constantine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic