Telecentric Scanner-Nikkor ED LENS: Nikon 8000 ED lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

etalon

Post by etalon »

Thank you, gentlemen!

Ramon, I have lightning done only quick and dirty. I put the specimen under my microscope with build on illumination and a sheet of paper for a diffusor. I know, this setup have much potential for improvement, but that would be the next step...

Concerning the radioactivity: Yes, Uranophane is radioactive, because of its content of uranium. But in that size and if you take care about some rules, handling is no problem... :D

Olaf, here is one more, but I hope, it would be more and more in future:

https://www.mineralienatlas.de/viewF.ph ... 1548275314#

It ist rutile on quartz. FoV is again 18.5mm long side, and it is a 60 layer stack with 100um step size. Postprocessing with PS CC2018.

Hope, to see also pics from other user soon, too...

Cheers,
Markus

Attached pics from the actual quick an dirty setup... :?

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Markus:

Maybe it's "quick and dirty setup", ... but the result is spectacular, ... your images reflect that microworld in a very natural way, .. congratulations.

Regarding the setup, could you describe the elements that you use? ... I find it a robust and elegant solution.

Best
Ramón Dolz

Olaf G

Post by Olaf G »

Markus, I like this picture even more!
Thank you for posting your setup. I think I need a linear stage with micrometer adjustments... 8)

etalon

Post by etalon »

Hello folks,

thank you!

Ramon, attached you´ll find the numbered assembly:

1 = Newport magnetic base
2 = Sirui L-10 Monopod Tilt Head
3 = Newport linear stage with 1" travel and micrometer
4 = Rack and pinion linear stage
5 = lens hood and UV/IR cut filter
6 = Scanner Nikkor 8000 lens
7 = Spacer rings with black velours inside
8 = Olympus OMD EM5 mk2 in high res mode

Most of the parts are from my optical bench. The setup normally used on an optical breadboard, where the magnetic base can be fixed, but the setup is heavy enough, to work also without a breadboard. Regarding the spacer rings it is very important to use internal velours or black flocking to avoid stray light. This causes a really intense glare, which you also reported. With black velours inside, it is completely gone!
The rack and pinion linear stage is used for the rough focus, the micrometer stage is used for the steps.

Hope, this helps, further questions are welcome...

Cheers Markus

P.S.: Further pics will come soon... :lol:

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Markus,

Thanks for your useful description of your macro rig! :D

I've wondered about using a monopod head to permit tilt adjustment in a macro rig. To my mind, the advantage of a monopod head for this use is that it provides only one degree of freedom--angular adjustment of up/down rotation--so could be both easier to use and more optimized for tilt-only movement, compared with, say, a ball-head.

It's helpful to hear (via a followup PM) that this Sirui head is stiff and easy to use. In your setup, you have a rather long lever arm acting on the Sirui; if the Sirui remains steady with this long arm acting on it, this speaks very well of this Sirui monopod head.

Cheers,

--Chris S.

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hi, Markus:

I love the setup, ... very solid. Cool.
etalon wrote:7 = Spacer rings with black velours inside
8 = Olympus OMD EM5 mk2 in high res mode
I also use the extension rings with black velvet and black paint, ..... What surprised me was that, as the magnification decreased, in direct mode the glare increased while in the reverse mode it was negligible. What is the diameter of the extension rings you use?

I see that you use the high resolution mode, ... a patient job. Can you give us a link where we can see some image with the maximum resolution? .. something like easyzoom.

best
Ramón Dolz

etalon

Post by etalon »

Chris,

yes, I can absolutely recommend the Sirui monopod head. It has no problem with the lever arm caused by the camera and optics.

Ramon,

my extension rings have an inner diameter of about 48mm. I think, how shorter the distance between lens and sensor is, there would be more stray light affecting the sensor. Because of different focal length at each side of the lens, the amount of stray light, reflected by the extension tubes, is different to each other due to the different light cone angel. I think, thats the reason of the difference when using the lens reversed...

Here can you have a look to the uranophane pic in full resolution:

https://easyzoom.com/image/133827/new

And here a couple of new pics...

https://www.mineralienatlas.de/viewF.ph ... 1548451855#

https://www.mineralienatlas.de/viewF.ph ... 1548451942#

https://www.mineralienatlas.de/viewF.ph ... 1548452055#

Fov is ca. 18,5mm in each pic.

Cheers,
Markus

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Markus: They are fantastic images!

The image of easy zoom is magnificent, that variety of crystallizations, a hypnotic landscape ... you should upload all photographs at maximum resolution.

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

Best
Ramón Dolz

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Olaf G

Post by Olaf G »

Great pictures, Markus!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

dolmadis, that could be a great deal for someone in the UK!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic