Thousands of green things

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mo Vaughan

Thousands of green things

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Sorry about the quality of the photo but I just can't get to grips with this digital camera for microscopes.
Ant way I collected a sample of pond water and I was amazed at the numbers of these small green 'things' swimming in the water. Unfortunately they did not last long before they just came to a standstill.

Could someone please let me know what they are?
Mo.
Thebeeman

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi Mo,

Greetings from Portugal.

It is a bit difficult to say for certain from your photo, but I reckon they are Chlamydomonas.

Chlamydomonas is a genus of green flagellates (two flagella propelling the cell) common in freshwater especially in small nutrient rich ponds. There are also a few species found in the sea. In total there are probably more than a hundred different species. A Chlamydomonas-like organism was the ancestor of all the green algae and all green plants. There should be loads on the internet about it.

A rather interesting little green blob.

Keep looking down.
Brian O

BJ

Post by BJ »

Mo...me again.

BTW the dark spot about half way down the cell - should be orange in life- is called the "eyespot". It is not actually light sensitive but is involved in helping to orientate the cell in relation to light.

Flagellates often stop swimming very soon after they are put on a slide - the flagella fall off - probably in response to heat from the microscope lamp.

Ciao
BrianO

Mo Vaughan

Hi BJ

Post by Mo Vaughan »

You are absolutely correct in your reckoning, I have looked up these flagellates in Wikipedia, and your 'spot on'.
Thank you.
I am slowly building up my album on pond life and organs from moos.
BJ I wonder if you can help me with another photo.

I have a video of this beautiful organism.
Thank you for your help
Mo.
Thebeeman

BJ

Post by BJ »

Mo,

Only reasonably sure this time. I reckon that it is a rotifer - Philodina. Rotifers are a fascinating group of organisms found mainly in freshwater. Again there will be loads on the net about them. On the top right of your photo are the "toes" by which they can attach to something solid. Off screen , bottom right should be two whorls of cilia (if it is a rotifer) by which they swim and feed. Philodina is a species from damp habitats (eg moss) or small temporary pools/puddles (eg birdbaths).

If you posted onto the main microscopy forum, others could give you more info as we have some real rotifer experts in the forum. Also a search in the forum for "Philodina" would turn up some excellent photos which could confirm this identification.

Ciao
BrianO

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

BJ wrote:On the top right of your photo are the "toes" by which they can attach to something solid.
Top left, I think. (Just a typo, but possibly confusing.)

BJ, thanks for responding to Mo's requests for ID on these things. :D

It really helps to have somebody who has looked at enough variations of micro-critters to recognize them at a glance.

Mo, there is a wonderful document available cheap that I think you would enjoy having. "The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried in Germany: A Biodiversity Hot-Spot for Microscopic Organisms", available as PDF for 3.00 EUR. :shock: :D See the discussion and links in this post: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=1370 .

--Rik

Mo Vaughan

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Rik,
Many, many thanks for the information of the PDF document.
I have downloaded it and what can an amature say!! except its "Just what I wanted" brilliant fantastic. Rik I am over the moon with this publication and at £2,80 its real value for money.
Got to go as I have a publication to read.
Thanks again
Mo.
Thebeeman

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic