wemacro or stackshot, rail only

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Ray,
I'm curious why do you need such a small step size? Even with NA 0.5 you only need ~2um steps
For my Reichert Plan Fluor 100x / 0.95 :-)
Usually I use 3 photos a DOF but at 0.95 5 a DOF.

Please take a look at these threads:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... highlight=

BR, ADi

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Lou,
I have already had a common idea:
I would use the NEMA 17 with the micro-step set to 16.
Could you recommend me a microscope from NIKON for this purpose?
BR, ADi

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Hi, if the wemacro package is mine, which I did offer the lot for $250, it's gone. Sent to an American buyer.

I'll comment on both rails later, I have and use both systems.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Adalbert wrote:Hello Macrero,
Do you have something like that?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/HIWIN-Linear-Ac ... :rk:3:pf:0
If yes, what kind of motor do you use?
BR, ADi
Hi Adi,

yes, I have the KK4001P, but the "150" model with 150mm rail length and 63mm stroke. the 100A1 model has 35mm stroke, though that's more than enough in most cases.

I use a Nema 17, 0.9º, 2 Phase motor. You would need to swap the motor plate. You can get Peter's (MJKZZ) THK Conversion Kit, it is also suitable for the Hiwin, and includes everything you need in order to convert it into macro-rail: Nema 17 motor plate, shaft coupler, camera block, camera clamp and plate and even a Nema 17 motor.

http://www.mjkzz.com/product-page/thk-k ... ersion-kit

Bear in mind though that buying an used rail may be a tad risky. Those are intended (and used) for exhaustive industrial work and and like everything in life, they deteriorate and lose precision and reliability with time and kilometers traveled. But if the rail has not been abused, it will work fine.

Best,

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The Wemacro has less backlash and theoretically goes down to 1um.
Since you don't care about the controller, I'll make things brief:
-Wemacro has a very primitive controller, but offers a nice phone application, controllable via bluetooth.
-Stackshot has a great controller, I'm using the 3x, touch screen is indispensable. Lots and lots of settings to fiddle with.
-Bot controllable via computer, haven't tried, no comment.

The stackshot theoretically goes down to 2um, but it does 1um just fine. It also offers a high precision mode at the expense of a torturous high pitch squeak. If your ears are sensible to these sounds like mine, then be aware, it's irritating. I also use optic fibre halogen illuminators, the (much more pleasing) buzzing fan covers the squeak somewhat.

The major reason why I let go the Wemacro is controllability. The stackshot allows me to change the position a lot faster than the wemacro. I sometimes do deep stacks, this feature is much welcomed. I did think about adapting the wemacro to my stackshot controller, but meh, not really necessary.

A problem with the stackshot is accessories. Every one and single of their addons are just unreasonably expensive. A shutter cable is even really expensive. I got the 3x package just to not buy their one-purpose shutter cable. The 3x accepts 35mm type cables, something very cheap from China.

The arca-swiss platform add-on is also very expensive, I purchased one made by Hejnar Photo, great quality. His arca-swiss clamps are made better than the RRS ones, at a cheaper price. The wemacro does accept clamps... but one would have the clamp hanging off the platform, doesn't make me confident. Of course, a DIY platform will do the trick.

Yeah... have fun getting the optical axis completely in-line with the specimen setup. I suggest making an adapter.

The Wemacro does offer a lot more mounting options if you use an optical breadboard.

My vertical setup has the stackshot connected via arca-swiss clamps.
(I can't seem to figure out how to resize images! number x number doesn't work, width="" height="" also doesn't work, sorry for the big photos.

But yeah, I agree with the other posters. An industrial rail is the way to go if you want no compromise. The advantage of both the wemacro and stackshot is ease of mounting and great customer service.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Macro-cosmos, it is worth noting that the Micromate has no backlash at all that I can detect, and is good down to a tenth of a micrometer (depending on the focus block). Focus blocks are also rock solid compared to either rail. It is a pleasure to use objective correction collars on this set-up, whereas on rails the image flies all over the place when I touch the correction collar.

Adalbert, I have a highly varied lens collection, not just microscope objectives, so I don't use a conventional microscope. I use their focus blocks though, which can be arranged in many different ways depending on the kind of lens. The focus blocks show up often on eBay. Look for one with a nice stage holder. Or buy a cheap bare scope and strip off the focus block. I attach the front of my lenses to that. Will take some pictures later to show you.

But you need a focusing block with fine focus, unlike the Biolam.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Macro_cosmos, resizing is done in an external editor like Photoshop.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Here is my MicroMate set-up. The Nikon focus block is connected to the post of a big Nikon measuring microscope. I haven't been able to bring the base of this to Ecuador yet because of its weight, but I will bring it next time. That's the ideal platform for the focus block. But this interim arrangement works very well, and is rock-solid.

The vertical rail is there when I need it. The marble block that supports the vertical rail is moveable so I can easily put it where I want. For example, I can put the camera on the rail and put the subject on the stage of the focus block and use the MicroMate to move that, if I want. Or I can move the camera with the rail if I choose. I can also flip the rail's marble block for horizontal use if desired.

clarnibass

Post by clarnibass »

FWIW I have a Hiwin P model(supposedly stands for Precision and is the more precise made version... not sure what it really means... maybe higher tolerances in manufacture... who knows). It's very well made, very rigid and accurate.

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

clarnibass wrote:FWIW I have a Hiwin P model(supposedly stands for Precision and is the more precise made version... not sure what it really means... maybe higher tolerances in manufacture... who knows). It's very well made, very rigid and accurate.
Yep, supposedly and in fact, P stands for "Precision".

I haven't used the "Normal" model, so I have no idea if there is much of a difference in real life, though...

- Macrero
https://500px.com/macrero - Amateurs worry about equipment, Pros worry about money, Masters worry about Light

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

Here is my Hiwin KK based, modest current setup. Sorry for the low quality pics.

- Macrero

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Adalbert, you could also make a horizontal set-up like Macrero's but using a microscope focusing block where he has the rail. This would give you 1/10micron step size.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Macrero, that is very neat. Where does your xyz stage come from?

Macrero

Post by Macrero »

viktor j nilsson wrote:Macrero, that is very neat. Where does your xyz stage come from?
From ebay. It was not cheap, those precision stages are quite expensive. But it was just what I was looking for. I only made the top plate for the magnetic ball.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Macrero,
Yes, the HIWIN is a really good alternative.
In my rail I use a linear stage from Mitutoyo with the range of 17mm :-(
This stage is small and probable not strong enough to be used vertically.

BTW, your black setup looks very noble :-)
My setup is made of wood:

BR, ADi
Last edited by Adalbert on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic