Nikon Ophthalmic lenses

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Looks like a nice example! Thanks for linking to it.

I'm not sure if I will put in an offer or not. The last few months (year?) of activity on this forum and in my own efforts has made me shift perspectives quite a bit. Prior to that, I had already settled on the 85MV as my go-to lens for full-coin imaging, with several backups for specific purposes. In the last several months I've started doing stack and stitch work, and this has forced me to look at the 2-3x mag range much more carefully. I have good solutions there, yet if/when I shift to FF from APS-C, I may need to make some changes, so am always looking at options. For higher magnifications, I am quite happy with the Nikon MM objectives, or when something really critical comes up, the Mitutoyos. In the past, I would have picked up this 10x Ophthalmic lens in an instant, but given my satisfaction with present stable of lenses, and the less than stellar performance shown above at f1.4, I'm leaning toward passing.

What still has me potentially interested is the performance improvement seen with stacked lenses in recent testing by Robert, Miljenko, and others. I have to wonder if this lens could be a superstar with the right infinite / off-infinite tube lens. It does have good coverage, and the WD IIRC is quite good. If the lens can be optimized at f1.4 with the right tube lens, it would have 0.36 NA, which would be quite competitive. But alas I will probably still pass, as I have not been as lucky as Robert with the various tube lens tests I've performed, so will leave this one to someone else to see if it can do magic.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

If I had money I would buy it for the large image circle. Hope someone in our community gets it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic