www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - tube lens comparison
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
tube lens comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enricosavazzi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pau wrote:
If you were able to exchange the second position prism (or mirror) for a beamsplitter you would have a simpler typical trino configuration

Unfortunately, the prism is a single piece, and a beam splitter cube does not work here (the bino viewer is tilted upwards).
pbraub

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your descriptions and sharing the photos!
I did not expect it to be so complex, but in the end I did not know what to expect. I think this will make an interesting project for you.

Peter
Greenfields

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Tube Lenses

1] There is a 4-page brochure for the Olympus SWTLU-C Tube lens for system builders, which, as its designation implies, is intended to be used up to a field number of 26.5mm.

http://photos.labwrench.com/equipmentManuals/31702-9877.pdf

Just as with the contemporary Nikon CFI60 objectives, some Olympus Plan Fluor objectives can produce larger usable images than this field number implies, and with a more common 200mm tube lens the extra magnification will cover a 35mm full frame sensor.

2] Enrico Savazzi is correct to suggest that the super-widefield head uses a different tube lens. The Olympus service manual for their standard head shows a three element tube lens and a four element tube lens for their super-widefield head.

3] In the earlierst Olympus patent I know of which describes a tube lens design for their UIS system, US Patent 5 394 271 to Takaaki Tanake, Toshinobu Suzuki and Chikara Nagano filed 22 Oct 1992, both three and four element designs are disclosed. I suspect that it is almost certain that this design has been refined more than once because of the environmentally-driven contraction in the range of commercially produced optical glasses in the intervening 26 years.

4] Olympus have routinely used a 4-element tube lens to illustrate their patents for many subsequent infinity objectives. but when Kurvits and others, https://arxiv.org/pdf/1507.04037.pdf dismantled a U-TLU they found that it did not match the design used in the patents. Whether this means that it has a three-element design or a differeent four element design they did not say.

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: