Zeiss rotary pol stage...Help needed

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

grgh

Zeiss rotary pol stage...Help needed

Post by grgh »

I have acquired this zeiss rotary pol stage, upon inspection the two controllers underneath stage turn but no effect on stage.
top turns and locking lever works.

So looks like I have a project on my hands and looking for help.

Any one give advice or point to location of renovation, disassembly,
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

grgh

as subject

Post by grgh »

Well no one with any suggestions?

I can turn the top freely by hand, and yes can lock it in that position, but that is all.

Any guidance would help? otherwise I will have to undo every thing and hope.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I have a similar Zeiss POL stage with the same problem. I wasn't able to fix it but I didn't throw it away.

grgh

Post by grgh »

Smokedaddy
I have a similar Zeiss POL stage with the same problem. I wasn't able to fix it but I didn't throw it away.

looking like I'm having to get into stage then, so at least ill give you feedback on how i get on.

would have thought that i could get a schematic or photos of inside, from some place.

As you say, " will not be throwing it away" totally agree.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

This subject has been already discussed at the forum, take a look: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=35621
Pau

grgh

Post by grgh »

Pau ref http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=35621

Yes had read that post, still not helping with the disassembly which it is looking likely.
Already soaked stage for 48 hours in ease it grease remover, no joy. so that is why i think ill go inside stage.

I know it is tinkering but i like things to work as they should otherwise just becomes spare parts. I looked all over web for a schematic of stage, no joy at all.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

grgh wrote: Already soaked stage for 48 hours in ease it grease remover, no joy. so that is why i think ill go inside stage.

I know it is tinkering but i like things to work as they should otherwise just becomes spare parts. I looked all over web for a schematic of stage, no joy at all.
Hi,

It is my understanding, that this is a common fault with this stage. If both the knobs turn and the stage glides independently (but the knobs aren't driving the stage), there is a fault of the little disc that drives the stage.

The disc is made from plastic and situated inside the stage. Over time it disintegrates and grinds into a goo that ends up coating the inside of the stage.

It needs to be replaced with a custom-made nylon-disc and rubber O-ring replacement.

Opening the stage and cleaning it is technically demanding as the stage contains uncaged ball bearings and the assembly includes a left-handed screw (!!).

You should get a dedicated set of Zeiss-compatible screwdrivers as well (the screws have narrow slots; normal screwdrivers usually damage the screws; so grind down some screwdrivers until they fit well).

Regards, Ichty

P.S.: Don't soak whole assemblies in grease remover. There are critical plastic parts even in Zeiss and Leitz microscopes that will be damaged by solvants.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Oh, also, the stage is factory-centred. If you go in, it has to be re-centred by you afterwards.

grgh

Post by grgh »

Ichty

Many thanks for info ref the above,
I have some Wera mini screwdrivers that are up to the job of taking apart.

Presume that the left handed screw is the one that holds the plastic disk?
Should not think I would have any letters from Zeiss after all these years.

my contact with them left me reeling in shock at price quote.

Will give feedback as i complete each part.
wish me luck..
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic