APO Corrected 1.35x Scanner Lens For $20 PrimeFilm 3650u

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, but I think Primefilm scanners (and their clones) are virtually unique in that respect.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Lou, Ray,

I know nothing about scanners, so just asking for my curiosity. Could this Landscape mode be because the scan time would be ~2/3 the time for a portrait scan, but at the expense of a ~3/2 longer line sensor and ~3/2 larger image projection?

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. So there could be a trade-off.

However, that assumes the scan speed depends only on the length of the scan run. I would think older scanners were more likely limited by their processing speed, so there might not be any time savings for a shorter but proportionately wider scan run. Same number of bits in both orientations.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I think the reason for the portrait orientation is the form factor of the machine, and the desire to both simplify operation and lower mechanical costs. The PrimeFilm scanners don't require any additional mechanics to do either a mounted 35mm slide, or a film strip, so are very simple to use.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic