www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Zerene Stacker and retouch color control
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Zerene Stacker and retouch color control
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luisifer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW. it looks like whole thing about "Retain extended dynamic range" is very problematic. Maybe it would be easier to leave that option and hold rendered values unchanged in some 32bpch kind with possibility to use it as input file too (now the input files are accepted only 16bpch (i don't count 8bpch files as apropriate source if it is not some testing)).

(hope you will not have an headache from my words) :-)
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisifer wrote:
But.... after commiting stable retouching there is created new ZSY file and new retouching from that ZSY file in some close location which can be so close that it is necessary to overlay strokes over the previous retouching that cause new change of brightness.

It sounds like you are saying that Edit > Commit Retouching, followed by Edit > Start Retouching from the new output image, gives a different result from just continuing to retouch, without a commit and re-start.

If that is what you're saying, then I can only think of two explanations. One is that you've made some error of observation or interpretation. The other is that you've discovered some very strange bug that has never been reported before. As I wrote earlier, the commit, save to file, and reload are all lossless operations. I can never rule out the possibility of strange bugs, but on the other hand I have no idea how to fix an unlikely bug that I cannot reproduce. If you can provide a project and a test sequence that shows the problem, I will be happy to investigate.

--Rik
Luisifer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
It sounds like you are saying that Edit > Commit Retouching, followed by Edit > Start Retouching from the new output image, gives a different result from just continuing to retouch, without a commit and re-start.

Exactly. Ok, i am uploading pack of project now.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisifer wrote:
BTW. it looks like whole thing about "Retain extended dynamic range" is very problematic. Maybe it would be easier to leave that option and hold rendered values unchanged in some 32bpch kind with possibility to use it as input file too

That possibility is already on the short list for future enhancements, as an extension to adding slabbing as an integrated part of Zerene Stacker. As always, I make no predictions about when anything might happen.

-Rik
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisifer wrote:
Point is that after few releasing of mouse (or pen) the brightness is stabilizated and other new click/drawing over that area doesn't change anything. But.... after commiting stable retouching there is created new ZSY file and new retouching from that ZSY file in some close location which can be so close that it is necessary to overlay strokes over the previous retouching that cause new change of brightness.

OK, I have studied your description, thought about this some more, and I think I figured out what's happening.

As background, let me first tell more about how the default brush works inside the code.

The default brush uses the Laplacian pyramid representation of source and target images. When you paint with the default brush, what you're actually doing is constructing a binary mask at the most detailed level of the pyramid. Pixel values in the retouched image are constructed from a combination of three things: pixel values in the target image before retouching, pixel values in the source image, and the mask. All operation is done in pyramid representation, except for conversion to ordinary pixel values for display. There are some shortcuts to get interactive speed, but for practical purposes the system acts as if each brushing operation adds to the mask and then completely reconstructs the retouched image from its initial state, the source image, and the current state of the mask.

As long as you keep retouching from the same source image, the mask only becomes more dense (unless you "undo" a change).

However, when you switch to a different source image, the effect of the mask gets applied to "lock in" changes from the current source image, and the mask itself gets reinitialized to zero for the new source image. Essentially the same thing happens when you switch from Details brush to Pixels, Darken, or Lighten.

Now for the important part: Edit > Commit also does this same thing. If you are using the Details brush, then the aggregate effect of the mask gets applied and the mask itself gets discarded, just as if you were going to a new source file or switching brush types. Then when you Edit > Start Retouching from the committed image, you start with a newly initialized mask, not the mask that you were using when you did the Edit > Commit.

So, my statement that Edit > Commit etc is lossless, was not correct. The commit sequence is lossless with respect to the pixel values, but if you were using the Details brush, the mask is discarded. As a result, a brushstroke with the Details brush, on the same source image, after the commit sequence, will not do exactly the same thing that it would have before the sequence. The differences will be particularly obvious when the brush is large and overlaps or comes close to other large regions that have been previously brushed.

Can you check whether this matches the behavior that you're seeing? A good test would be to just switch the brush type instead of doing a commit/restart sequence.

--Rik
Luisifer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made short tests.

First case when i stabilize area with detail brush, switch to pixel brush, draw anywhere else, switch back to detail brush and yes, it is changing again like after mentioned commiting.

But second case, when i use only default brush, switch to other input image and come back to previous input image, i didn't find changing.

I already uploaded project so do you want it or it looks like it is not necessary now? Smile
Luisifer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
That possibility is already on the short list for future enhancements, as an extension to adding slabbing as an integrated part of Zerene Stacker.

This would be super, i am looking forward when that happen. Smile
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisifer wrote:
I already uploaded project so do you want it or it looks like it is not necessary now? Smile

Maybe it's not necessary, but since you've already uploaded it, send me a link and I'll pull it down just in case.

--Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: