Stuck Photar Adapter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

houstontx

Stuck Photar Adapter

Post by houstontx »

Hi I have a nice photar lens I'd like to use for macro but it has an rms to rms extension adapter stuck on and i can't for the life of me remove it. I've even added very small amounts of penetrant (the best in the world) to the threads and it won't budge.
So how much of a detriment is it? Will it limit the size sensor it could be used with or limit its performance in anyway?

Thanks

dickb

Re: Stuck Photar Adapter

Post by dickb »

houstontx wrote:Hi I have a nice photar lens I'd like to use for macro but it has an rms to rms extension adapter stuck on and i can't for the life of me remove it. I've even added very small amounts of penetrant (the best in the world) to the threads and it won't budge.
I take it you have already tried carefully applying some gentle heat to the adapter, with a a blow dryer or something? That might do the trick.
houstontx wrote:So how much of a detriment is it? Will it limit the size sensor it could be used with or limit its performance in anyway?
The stuck adapter will limit the possibilities of this lens as it can't be used at lower magnifications. I don't know whether the performance of this lens at those magnifications is such that you would want to use it without extension, but not being able to test that is a limitation.

My guess is that using the lens with this adapter directly onto a full frame Sony for instance will result in major vignetting. If used with more extension with a wider diameter you will probably be able to use it on such a camera, but that will limit the minimal magnification you can get.

So yes, the stuck adapter will limit the possibilities with this lens but whether that is a big problem is something you have to decide for yourself.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I have one - they're intend for magnifications about 6x upwards, at which the ext tube wouldn't be a problem.
The corners suffer at low magnifications.

RMS extension tubes don't appear very frequently, but when they do they aren't very expensive. There are plenty of alternatives. It would annoy me to have it fixed on, so I'd probably sacrifice it and cut it off!
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic